I can't draw

Want to hire an Moho animator? Post your job listing here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Greenlaw

Re: I can't draw

Post by Greenlaw »

Moho can use photographs, so you might consider working that way. Also, if you want to draw on paper, you can take pics of that and rig it in Moho. In fact, the new mesh tools are ideal for working with photos and bitmap images. You'll need an image editing or paint program to edit and chop it up for rigging. There are a few free ones available, like Krita (excellent paint program) and Photopea (a web-based Photoshop clone.) I'm sure other users here can suggest more.

Also, some users sell 'stock' assets for Moho that you can use in your projects. However, I highly suggest learning how to rig your own assets first. Even when you intend to work with somebody else's rigs, it helps to understand how rigs are constructed before you start animating in Moho. This way, you can get the most out of the rig, and you'll know how to adapt it to make the character do things it wasn't originally designed to do.

If you feel you can't draw, it's never too late to start! Drawing is a skill that can be learned by anyone. It just takes a desire observe and learn about the world around you...and regular practice of course! The more you do it, the better you get, and the most important rule is to have fun while you're doing it. :)
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Clip Studio has a number of features which may be of help. Take a look -- pretty sure they have a free trial.
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

house10 wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:06 am
i just need something like d character wizard on moho

but more refined
If that's what you want and you said you like 3d, maybe you would like Daz Studio: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDc1ZcoucsY
The program is free, thay make money with the store where they sell all kind of assets at affordable prices.

You can create all kind of characters, edit them with sliders, use premade animations and poses, clothes... and when you have something you like you can just trace it in Moho to make 2D animation.
MrMiracle77

Post by MrMiracle77 »

When I decided to get into this hobby, I was in the 'I can't draw' spot.

But then I re-thought 'I can't draw' into 'I have an equal chance of building skill with Moho's vector tools as I would with hand drawing'.

Now, I'll admit that my vector figures don't quite have the organic look of a hand-drawn character and more hand-drawing is going to make it into my art portfolio in 2022 (along with Blender). But by keeping the work entirely in Moho, I'd argue that it's helped accelerate the pace of my skill in this software.
- Dave

(As Your GM)
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

@house10, it sounds like you basically want a character construction kit so you can import body parts into Moho. I'm not aware of any sources or software that provide artwork already broken out for puppet animation programs, but I'm sure they exist. Even so, you're going to need to be somewhat familiar with an image editing program so you can prep the artwork for Moho.

I just ran a search on Google and, yes, character construction kits do exist. Here are some on the Envato website: https://graphicriver.net/character+kit-in-graphics

Using DAZ to create custom characters is an interesting idea. You could use their character generator to create artwork that you can chop up for rigging in Moho. As mentioned, you'll need to use an image editor to prep the artwork. The free Krita program I mentioned should be ideal for this, but any image editor is capable.

TBH, anything you can take pictures of or scan into your computer can be turned into a puppet rig. An excellent example of this is Victor's old 'Woolbuddies' commercial where he took photos of the felted toys, and then rigged and animated them. You will still need to be able to prep the photos in an image editor but drawing skills are not required for this.

Hope this helps and good luck!
Last edited by Greenlaw on Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
chucky

Post by chucky »

Learn to draw.
Its just hand eye coordination and laying out shapes in the rectangle of the view.

Otherwise it's a little like,' I want to run but I can't and won't walk'.
SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

Whilst I hear and agree with the benefits of learning to draw ... there are still those who don't wish to (or should not need to) deal with that side of things, and may look to apps such as Character Animator where you will typically grab 2D assets and then customise them.

I am sure there are riggers in 2D animation that can't draw for toffee, but they are still amazing animators. This is significantly more true in the world of 3D.

I personally think it would be great if the Moho Character Wiz got a new lease of life, and if there were improved standards for 2D rigged character asset interchange.
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

house10 wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:56 pm
i know daz, i dont want trace i just need a software i can create a character import to moho (cute software) n rig
Hmm if you can't draw and you don't want to trace, it's getting dificult. It sounds like your best option would be to work with an artist that can draw for you. Character wizards and stuff like that will make your stuff very generic and it's hard to get the style you are looking for.

But why don't you want to trace? I ask because it sounds like maybe you are looking for something so easy/fast that it just doesn't exist. Rigging and animating are not easier than tracing.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Daxel wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:56 am Rigging and animating are not easier than tracing.
True story.
chucky

Post by chucky »

SimplSam wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:27 am Whilst I hear and agree with the benefits of learning to draw ... there are still those who don't wish to (or should not need to) deal with that side of things, and may look to apps such as Character Animator where you will typically grab 2D assets and then customise them.

I am sure there are riggers in 2D animation that can't draw for toffee, but they are still amazing animators. This is significantly more true in the world of 3D.

I personally think it would be great if the Moho Character Wiz got a new lease of life, and if there were improved standards for 2D rigged character asset interchange.
Sam I totally agree, the wizard could be a lot better even with a few asset changes. Strip out all the cursed layers and replace them with some curated parts.
I actually was going to do some for one of the past releases but ran out of time.
It really does need a reboot.
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

chucky wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:57 am
SimplSam wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:27 am Whilst I hear and agree with the benefits of learning to draw ... there are still those who don't wish to (or should not need to) deal with that side of things, and may look to apps such as Character Animator where you will typically grab 2D assets and then customise them.

Sam I totally agree, the wizard could be a lot better even with a few asset changes. Strip out all the cursed layers and replace them with some curated parts.
I actually was going to do some for one of the past releases but ran out of time.
It really does need a reboot.
+1

you only have to look at something like MakeHuman (well integrated into Blender) to realise how far CW is away from the current "good" technologies in this area
chucky

Post by chucky »

Or just look at CW , it speaks for itself :mrgreen: :lol:
I think the worst thing about it is how difficult it is to add to it, you literally have to go one layer at a time ( if I remember correctly) to update the assets in a meaningful way would be a real chore.