Eye Dropper not working properly on FBF vector layers

Discuss Moho bugs (or suspected bugs) with other users. To report bugs to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Daxel

Eye Dropper not working properly on FBF vector layers

Post by Daxel »

Today I tried to use the Eye Dropper tool to copy the stroke and fill colors of a shape but only the fill color of the shape was copied to the fill color on the style panel, but the stroke color was not being copied. I read on the tool hint that it should copy both, and even other properties of the selected shape like the effects, but that's not happening.
I noticed that the tool is working fine on normal vector layers, but this problem is present on BFB layers.

You can still use shift + alt to copy the stroke color, but having to do that on top of copying the fill and still not getting the rest of the shape properties copied is a problem.
Last edited by Daxel on Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
synthsin75

Re: Eye Dropper not working properly on FBF vector layers

Post by synthsin75 »

The eyedropper copies all the style parameters, if you have the vector layer selected, even within a FBF group. Selecting colors without the layer selected basically works like you're selecting colors from a bitmap, where you have to select fill and outline separately, with no effects included.

Not really a bug, but the eyedropper could be modded to allow full style selection from the FBF group.
Daxel

Re: Eye Dropper not working properly on FBF layers

Post by Daxel »

synthsin75 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:42 pm The eyedropper copies all the style parameters, if you have the vector layer selected, even within a FBF group. Selecting colors without the layer selected basically works like you're selecting colors from a bitmap, where you have to select fill and outline separately, with no effects included.
I tried to reproduce that behaviour and it doesn't seem to work like that here. The eye dropper is able to pick every parameter of any shape even if that shape is not inside the selected layer.

But I discovered some new things that made me change the tittle of the original post. The eyedropper is only failing to pick every property of the shapes when we have the FBF layer selected, but I was wrong: it doesn't fail to copy the properties if the selected layer is one of the vector layers inside the FBF layer. Sadly, the with Moho's FBF workflow you are supposed to stay on the FBF layer, to use the "+" buttons, for example.

With a FBF layer selected, the eye dropper behaves differently depending on if you have a shape selected or not:
If one shape is already selected, the eye dropper will copy only fills, and it will paste it into the selected shape's fill.
If no shapes are selected, the eye dropper won't do anything. With a vector layer selected instead of the FBF layer, it would copy all the properties to the undefined mode of the style panel.

Moho minimal project: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AiyKCw6Xey5Tgb5GAkb ... A?e=Y2AG7m
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I don't know if this helps you but what I like to do is keep a layer with tiles or dots for all the styles I'm using in the project in the background. This way, I can easily sample any style to apply to a shape in another layer. Since this 'Styles' layer is a static image, it can be available in all frames. Also, this method can be quicker to use than the Styles window. (Actually, I do variations of this trick in most graphics programs I use, animation, compositing or paint.)
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

Greenlaw wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:00 pm I don't know if this helps you but what I like to do is keep a layer with tiles or dots for all the styles I'm using in the project in the background. This way, I can easily sample any style to apply to a shape in another layer. Since this 'Styles' layer is a static image, it can be available in all frames. Also, this method can be quicker to use than the Styles window. (Actually, I do variations of this trick in most graphics programs I use, animation, compositing or paint.)

I just wanted to shed some light on the issue. I don't use FBF too much because freehand and tablet support need a lot of work to be usable but I thought it would be useful to point out that the eye dropper is not working well in conjuntion with the FBF workflow. But thanks, that's an interesting idea.