Naming duplicated layers when they are left and right

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

GHOSTYMPA

Naming duplicated layers when they are left and right

Post by GHOSTYMPA »

A small feature that I would find useful - if a layer's name ends with something like "left" or "l" it would be nice to have the duplicated layer name optionally have that changed to say "right" or "r" respectively. Not too much of a big feature but it would be a nice thing to have
https://youtube.com/ghostympa
i make youtube videos with animations in them
jahnocli

Re: Naming duplicated layers when they are left and right

Post by jahnocli »

One method is to use "upstage" and "downstage" instead, or even "near" and "far". These tags will be just the same in a mirrored image.
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Yeah, scripts to mirror bone hierarchies and related layers would be useful. I rely scripts like this in 3D animation programs all the time.

BTW, the naming convention I like to use for bones and layers is like this: nameUpL

So an arm might be structured like this...

armUpL
armLoL
handL

and mirrored like this...

armUpR
armLoR
handR

I use this system because it's concise and precise.

For upstage and downstage groups, I add the text '_near' and '_far' at the end of the Group name..it helps keep the layer names shorter than using upstage and downstage. Also, you should avoid using Front and Back to define depth...these words should be used to describe the artwork its not layer position.

I'm pretty consistent about these naming conventions, and I try to make sure everyone I work with follows the same conventions so we can share our rigs without confusing each other.

I also like to color code the groups and bones in a rig, usually green for the left side parts and red for right side parts. The colors may be different depending on the colors used in the character design. For me, it's all about readability.

One last tip: I like to make text layers with the letter L over the character's left shoulder and R over the right shoulder. This clears up any confusion I might have about the controls when the character turns around.

Animation is hard but careful naming and organization make it a lot easier and helps keep it fun.

Hope this helps.
chucky

Post by chucky »

Using A and B as a label avoids problems if the item is flipped or animated in layer order, also it's fast and allows for a whole alphabet worth of additionals.