Moho as a quicker alternative for traditional Cleanup/Ink&Paint/Tonals

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Moho as a quicker alternative for traditional Cleanup/Ink&Paint/Tonals

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Please watch this video made by GameXanime. It is awesome.
He uses a reference from traditional animation and creates the clean, ink & paint and tonals passes all at once using Moho.

I really love the use of meshes and vitruvian bones. Also, the rig is extremely simple. The bones are there mostly to keep the shapes consistent and establish the arcs of movement.
Then the details animated using meshes and point animation.

We made something very similar when working on My father's dragon (Netflix, 2022). Many of the characters there are animated using Moho over rough animation made with TVPaint.
It saved a lot of time and resources for this production and I'm very happy to see other animators are also exploring the potential of working this way.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
Daxel

Re: Moho as quicker alternative for traditional Cleanup/Ink&Paint/Tonals

Post by Daxel »

Yep, a beautiful example of many things that are talked about here sometimes, like "why do Moho animation look different than FBF?" (spoiler: it's not Moho's fault, its just how things look when the animator only touches basic bone animation) and the eternal dilema: one very complex and capable rig vs many simple one-take rigs and all the possibilities in between. When we have a better freehand tool, the workflows it could allow will be incredibly efficient.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Sweet! Thanks for posting this Victor!

All of the video is very interesting but what caught my attention the most was how he uses the new Smart Warp Layer and Vitruvian Bones.

This is also a great example of how a simpler 'shot specific' rig can sometimes more effective than using a complicated 'general purpose' rig.
SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

This is great. He has combined lots of little techniques & touches - to make this superb looking animation feel rather effortless.

I am having fun playing with the supplied project file.
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam