Changing the pivot resets when re-selected?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

SuperSGL

Changing the pivot resets when re-selected?

Post by SuperSGL »

Just noticed this. I created some leaves and other assets to place in a scene. The leaves are elongated so I changed the pivot point with the translate tool to move it to where the stem would be. I selected another leaf did the same. When I went back to the first leaf the pivot point was centered again. Is this how it works? Is there away to keep the pivot point to stay where you place it?
"Animation is not the art of drawings that move but the art of movements that are drawn."
Norman McLaren

My Animations
Greenlaw

Re: Changing the pivot resets when re-selected?

Post by Greenlaw »

Do you mean the for the layer or for the point selection?

If you mean the pivot point for the layer, you need to move it using the Set Origin tool. The pivot point (or origin) will stay in the new position until you move it again or click Reset.

If you mean the pivot point in a point selection, in Moho 13.5.5 the pivot point can be move in the Transform Points tool but its position is always relative to the current selection of points. If you make a different selection and the bounding box is different, the pivot point's relative position may change. If the arrangement of new selection is relatively the same as the previous selection, the position of the pivot point should also be relatively the same. I think when Moho considers the selection to be too different, it will just reset the pivot point to the center of the current point selection's bounding box automatically. Finally, if you click directly on the pivot point, it will reset to the center of the selection's bounding box.

This new feature is super convenient when you need to make quick Transform Points edits to a selection but it's only meant to be a temporary setting. (Before we got this, it could take several extra steps to make the same transformation.)

Hope this helps.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
ggoblin

Post by ggoblin »

I think when working with points the pivot point is automatically set to centre of selected points. You can temporarily change it to somewhere else in order to do a transform on it (eg a rotation), but yes its temporary.

Its only when dealing with layers that you can permanently set the pivot point

Daxel

Post by Daxel »

SuperSGL wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:42 pm Is there away to keep the pivot point to stay where you place it?
No, it works like you said. It saves the position until you change the tool or make a different selection. There is a transform points mod script that had this pivot feature before it was implemented, and the pivot position there was saved. That looks like a good idea but it's not so simple, because of course it saves only one pivot position for layer and you may want a different pivot position for each different selection of points in the same layer. So at the end, it's not very useful and it kind of gets in the way when you don't want to keep using that pivot position.

We could have an option inside the tool, like "remember last pivot position", and a button like "center pivot position". If you have the first option ticked, your pivot is saved and to center it you use the button. Otherwise, it centers automatically like now. I haven't needed that, but could be nice to have it.

Something that I guess some begginers will be doing now that we have this pivot is to try to rotate things with the transform points tool but the interpolation wont create an arc movement. But it's still a very useful feature and of course you can create an arc with transform points if you create enough keyframes.