SS - Cycle Keys tool

Moho allows users to write new tools and plugins. Discuss scripting ideas and problems here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

SimplSam

SS - Cycle Keys tool

Post by SimplSam »

SS Cycle Keys

A convenience tool which allows you to quickly create cycled keyframes in the timeline. It is similar to the existing ‘change interpolation to Cycle’ function, but allows for quicker creation when cycling between 2 existing keyframes - or cycling to/from a single keyframe.

The tool is run from a simple click of the tool button and has 3 modes of operation as follows:
  1. Cycle Around

Creates a cycle between 2 selected keyframes - when 2 or more keyframes have been selected on a single timeline channel. If more than 2 keyframes are selected - the first and last selected keyframes will be used to create the cycle.

2. Cycle To

Creates a cycle between the current frame position and a single selected keyframe - when the current frame position is greater than the keyframe position. A new keyframe will be created at the current frame position with the same value of the selected keyframe - unless a keyframe already exists at the current frame position.

3. Cycle From

Creates a cycle between a single selected keyframe and the current frame position - when the current frame position is less than the keyframe position. A new keyframe will be created to the left (-1) of the current frame position - unless one already exists there (-1) or at the current frame position.

Demo

So … Why do you need the Cycle Keys tool?

Speed and convenience. The addon can enhance your cycle creation workflow. Particularly handy when creating cycles that don’t begin at the start of the timeline.

Features:
  • Works across all visible timeline keyframes, and multiple channel cycles can be created in a single click
  • When multiple channel keyframes are selected - each channel is processed individually (i.e. Cycle Around/To/From)
  • Will overwrite existing cycle-from (origin) keyframe cycle-back distance setting
  • Preserves cycle-to (destination) keyframes/values
  • Cycles are created Relative
Version:
  • version: 01.00 #520930 MH12+
  • release: 1.00
  • by Sam Cogheil (SimplSam)
Download:
How do I get set up ?
  • To install:
    • Save the ‘ss_cycle_keys.lua’ and ‘ss_cycle_keys.png’ files to your computer into your <custom>/scripts/tool folder
    • Reload Moho scripts (or Restart Moho)
  • To use:
    • Select one or more keyframes, (optionally adjust current frame), and Run the tool from the Tools palette
Additional Notes:
  • Compatible with MH12+

Special Thanks to:
Last edited by SimplSam on Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Re: SS - Cycle Keys tool

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Nice! I specially like the "Cycle to" option. I will try it as soon as I can.
Thank you very much for creating and sharing this.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
lucasfranca

Post by lucasfranca »

Wow, that makes it so much easier!

Know something I miss about Cycle? Ping-Pong like in After Effects: it goes back and forth and repeats this round trip. I know it's possible by duplicating the first few frames and all, but it would be nice to have that pre-set. I know this has nothing to do with your proposal either, but I just wanted to leave a comment.
Thank you very much!
An old guy [since 1983] who was raised in front of the TV.
Passionate about animation, after getting old, he decides to make it his hobby.

I share tutorials, reviews, tips and tricks from this vast world of animation on my channel.

https://youtube.com/animai2D
mohgirl

Post by mohgirl »

gif was dead.

I don't know how to use it
SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

mohgirl wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:13 am gif was dead. I don't know how to use it
Not sure why you can't see the Gifs. It may be some weird blocked network thing. I have created a quick video demo based on the same Gifs and added it to the original post.

lucasfranca wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:10 pm ...now something I miss about Cycle? Ping-Pong like in After Effects: it goes back and forth and repeats this round trip. I know it's possible by duplicating the first few frames and all, but it would be nice to have that pre-set...
So yes Ping-Pong'ing is very possible with Moho cycles - and made slightly easier with the Cycle To method-of-use of this tool. Where you create your 2 extreme poses/positions (Start & End) and then highlight the Start Pose keyframes (ping-start), move the timeline cursor to a position beyond the End Pose keyframes -- (lets call it pong-end) and use the Cycle Keyframes tool. This will duplicate the Start keyframes to the pong-end and create a cycle around that.

Sam
mohgirl

Post by mohgirl »

Unable to run in moho14
SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

mohgirl wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:04 am Unable to run in moho14
I am using this unchanged with MH14. Do you get an error?

Sam
mohgirl

Post by mohgirl »

SimplSam wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:11 am
mohgirl wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:04 am Unable to run in moho14
I am using this unchanged with MH14. Do you get an error?
sorry!It worked after restarting the computer