replacing a character in same completed animation project

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

digitalartguru

replacing a character in same completed animation project

Post by digitalartguru »

Hello,

In Moho, is there a way to replace a character in same completed animation project with another character without having to recreate the entire animation project all over again?

For instance, let's say I did an complete animation project with one character ( let's say is a man ) and then I want to take the same project and replace the character with a female character without having to redo the project all over again, IS THAT POSSIBLE?

Thanks!
“Animation is not the art of drawings that move but the art of movements that are drawn.”
– Norman McLaren
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Re: replacing a character in same completed animation project

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Yes, it's possible. I use this a lot for creating crowds.
If the rig follow the same structure and the bones have the same names you can copy and paste the keyframes from one character to the other.
If the characters have different proportions, you can Copy the keyframes and Paste them with Paste Relative (instead of normal Copy/Paste).
Paste Relative can work very well if you copy all the keys, including frame zero, and then paste them in the new not yet animated character.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
Lukas

Post by Lukas »

Víctor Paredes wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:58 amIf the characters have different proportions, you can Copy the keyframes and Paste them with Paste Relative (instead of normal Copy/Paste).
Paste Relative can work very well if you copy all the keys, including frame zero, and then paste them in the new not yet animated character.
Wow, how have I never heard of the Paste Relative option! Nice 😊
digitalartguru

Post by digitalartguru »

Hi Victor,
Is there a video demonstrating the Character swap with same animation that you mention here using the Paste Relative feature.
If not, it would be nice is you can post one on YouTube. This will be very helpful.

Thank you!
“Animation is not the art of drawings that move but the art of movements that are drawn.”
– Norman McLaren