Target bone problem

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Bala8

Target bone problem

Post by Bala8 »

Hi all,
I need help with target bones, i have create a target bone for leg bend but when i pull down the body both legs are bending backwards only, i cant bend it on forward side!! What should i do?
Bala8

Re: Target bone problem

Post by Bala8 »

Hi ,
Here i provide video link for more clearification..i cant find the problem..
And dont have any unwanted rotational keyframe for legs in the smartbone list. My target bones: B29,B30

https://youtu.be/KClZFDUEL-E
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I'm guessing you created the limb bones in a straight line. This can confuse the IK because it won't know which direction you want the joint to bend. Fortunately, the solution is easy...

It always helps to put a small pre-bind in the joint on frame zero. It doesn't have to be much, even a half-degree will do, and you can leave your artwork straightened. This gives the IK a preferred direction to bend the joint.

When you want to change the bend direction during animation, you can rotate the lower limb in the other direction until the IK changes direction; this will be obvious because the bone will 'pop'. You can then smooth out the 'pop' by adjusting the IK position or bone length. (Tip: make a keyframe a few frames before the direction change.)

Hope this helps.
Bala8

Post by Bala8 »

Yes😃, your guessing is 100% crt bro..it is bone straighten problem at 0 frame.
I cant understand pre bind method that you mentioned coz i am new to moho :cry:
But i overcame this by another method😃, i just enable angle constraints for both legs (min/max=-180,-5) to make bend at 0 frame. Now it bend backward well as expect :lol:
Very very thanks bro🙏🙏 . I had been searching solution for a week..
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Glad that helps!

FYI, I'll make a demo video for the above technique. I've been working on some short 'tips & tricks' videos, and I can add this to my topic list. Should be ready to start uploading this weekend. 😺