Is it possible to use the sRGB IEC61966-2.1 color profile in Moho Studio?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Doc9

Is it possible to use the sRGB IEC61966-2.1 color profile in Moho Studio?

Post by Doc9 »

I want to create icons for iOS applications with Moho Studio. I have exported my icon as png file on macOS but when I right click on the file it doesn't have the sRGB IEC61966-2.1 color profile. The png file uses RGB and alpha channel but sRGB IEC61966-2.1 is not stated when I right click on the png file. I'm not sure if I can use png files without sRGB IEC61966-2.1 because normally icon files are using sRGB IEC61966-2.1.
Is it possible to use the color profile sRGB IEC61966-2.1 in Moho Studio 12/13 when I export my png files?
Greenlaw

Re: Is it possible to use the sRGB IEC61966-2.1 color profile in Moho Studio?

Post by Greenlaw »

Currently Moho doesn't allow you assign a color profile, I believe it always exports standard RGBA images without a profile. To assign a profile you'll want to export a png sequence and bring that into a compositing or video editing program that does support color profiles and then re-export from there.

That's not generally a problem because Moho really only supports 8-bits per channel, but this limitation is another problem in itself. These days Moho really needs to support at least 16-bits per channel. It's one of the reasons I always have to composite Moho layers with other artwork in Ae or Nuke. (Sorry for going off on a tangent; this limitation bit me yesterday and I'm still a little grumpy about it because I couldn't use Moho to do that task.) 😸

Hopefully we'll see an update for increased color depth and profile support in the future.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Doc9

Post by Doc9 »

Which program could I use to add the sRGB IEC61966-2.1 color profile?
SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

I am no expert (as you will soon find out), but I believe for the most part ICC profiles are properties applied to input/output devices.

You can embed ICC profiles (like sRGB IEC61966-2.1) in certain images, but this is generally only done when you need a specific profile to be 'inherited' by the destination device. And even then it can be overridden. Typical use would be high-end media production processes.

i.e. Most image files do not have an embedded profile, but the Application / Monitor / System / Printer will use a default system/application profile to determine how to recreate/display the image.

As a further example ... if I open Moho created PNG's in Affinity or Photoshop they will show as sRGB IEC61966-2.1. And this is because they have no embedded profile, and my system & applications (as default) are set to use sRGB IEC61966-2.1.

One further point. I don't believe that Apple stipulate sRGB IEC61966-2.1 as a requirement for the iOS icons. Only PNG sRGB.
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam