Any tutorials on how to get a hand drawn look?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

NealF

Re: Any tutorials on how to get a hand drawn look?

Post by NealF »

I hadn't thought about the exporting from CSP not being vector.
Probably won't be a problem in most instances if your original is big enough to count for close ups. But I can see how some would want the vectors in Moho. Especially if you think you'll need to make changes to the line. Probably other reasons I haven't thought of.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

To be honest, getting vector art into Moho from another program has limited uses if it's for a character rig. This is because you generally want to optimize the point placement in the art to get nice bone deformations, and that's probably not going to be there when you're drawing your vector art in a different program. IMO, it's better to draw the vector art in Moho using the Add Points tool (or Kuzkuz's new MR Curve Tool,) if it's going to be deformed by bones.

As for bitmap art, yes, you'll want the art to be reasonably high res enough to work in wide shots and at least medium closeup shots.

If you need extreme closeups in your animation all the time, you could go high res enough with the image to accommodate that, but it might make more sense to just make a separate rig specifically for extreme closeups with artwork appropriately painted for that (i.e., rig and art for just the face but more detailed.)

Generally speaking, you don't want to use images that are significantly higher res than what you will ever render because that might unnecessarily result in slower performance. The ideal sizes for your setups should be decided before you get too far into production.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

I just avoid all that hassle with importing vectors, I just import a bitmap and build in Moho on top of that. Fast and with a useable result.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
NealF

Post by NealF »

Good advice Greenlaw and slowtiger.

I should have been coming to this forum regularly. Unfortunately, my time is split between writing/producing and performing my own songs, and making my own music videos (many of which contain my simple animations.)
But animation was my first love before I took a music lesson. However, once I found out about girls, music took over. :D
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

once I found out about girls, music took over.
Well, I also do animation and music. My first film festival contribution was in 1981. Shortly after that I had built a small drawing board with a peg bar, so I could sit in a café with a supply of A6 paper (that's postcard size) and animate in public. Didn't attract as many girls as planned, but was OK.
(And since I keep nearly everything I still have this board and more than enough punched paper for it.)
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
NealF

Post by NealF »

That was a very creative effort.
My first gig was age 14. Was immediately effective. Never looked back.
Being on stage overcomes the possible emotional upset of having to have an opening line that works.

Been married 54 years now and she loves every song I write. (Well almost.)