Uneven strokes using a special brush

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Re: Uneven strokes using a special brush

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Greenlaw wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:08 pmThanks for sharing your animation and BTS explanation Victor, and please keep up the great work! 😸
Thanks, Dennis!
Onionskin wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:55 pmNatural pencil look and feel with that brush is great, the best I ever saw for Moho
Thanks, Onionskin. I really appreciate it.
I'm very excited with the possibilities this 'new' use of multi-brushes gives.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

Greenlaw wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:00 am Good point.

My guess is that the stroke pattern should be stable from frame to frame so long as Minimize Frame-To-Frame Randomness is enabled. When it's off, it will chatter too much. However, it might be fine with higher frame intervals. (I think Moho's brush settings will respect different frame intervals in Moho but I usually apply this effect in After Effects using Posterize Time.)

What might still occur is the stroke can appear to 'slide' slightly as the curves stretch and contract, but in most normal situations I haven't seen that as objectionable.
First up -- thanks Victor for the inspiring demo of moho's brush capabilities.

Responding to Dennis's comments ...

Back in the early days of multibrush, I used them for "repeating and similarly sized" things (grass, leaves, beads on a string, scales on a lizard ...) and my personal view was that the "slide" _was_ unacceptable when the line geometry changed -- as that caused extra brush impressions on segments that stretched. (I worked around that by having alternating "on-off segments" such that the "on" segments could be of fixed length and the overall curve deformation was taken up by the "off" segments.)

what I never did was to disable Minimize Frame-To-Frame Randomness -- and Victor's approach has given me quite an insight into using frame randomness coupled with multibrushes that have the different sized stamps that he has so elegantly shown.

It looks to me as though the "randomness" does _not_ respect the animation interval -- but (obviously!) does respect the frame rate -- I got some tolerable results with a frame rate of 1 per second to create fairy lights blinking on/off and/or changing colour ... obviously that would need to be comp'd over footage at a normal frame rate ...

and so one of my next goals is to merge these approaches to create a controllable half-tone overlay similar to the texturing example ... and also to see how this technique might be usable to create wave / ripple caustics..
mmmaarten

Post by mmmaarten »

Víctor Paredes wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:16 pm The final result in Moho is not exactly like the illustration, but I'm happy with how close the 'feeling' is.
This looks super sweet! Cool technique, thanks for sharing! :D

BTW that little fish is a boss
Adults should play more often