"IT COULD HAPPEN" Teaser

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

keepfungus

"IT COULD HAPPEN" Teaser

Post by keepfungus »

Hi everybody,
Drinking seems as easy as...drinking. But definitely it's not.
Here is my latest "effort".
I hope you like it.

Last edited by keepfungus on Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
vimeo.com/matteoloi
instagram.com/keepfungus/
justeleven.it
twitter.com/justeleven
alanthebox

Re: "IT COULD HAPPEN" Teaser

Post by alanthebox »

that was really well done! i think you really nailed the feeling of "weight" with the backpack, the sound design was great, the shots/camera movement worked really well, and the slight parallax was subtle but appreciated.

it's actually a little hard to tell - the character is all rigged in moho?
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Now that's a nice style! And the animation is quite perfect.

I only have 2 small quibbles: in the middle, when he's drinking, you're crossing the line, which is forbidden and will be heavily fined. You could just mirror those scenes to make it consistent again.
And when working with parallax one should take care that objects don't line up, like that cloud with the branch - always have a clearly visible hierarchy (in this case placing the cloud a bit lower would help).
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
keepfungus

Post by keepfungus »

Thanks a lot for your comment.
Yes the character is made and animated in moho.
Actually I made different models for different shots.
vimeo.com/matteoloi
justeleven.it
twitter.com/justeleven
JoelMayer

Post by JoelMayer »

This is really great and you proved once again that for this kind of pro results it's best to have several rigs that cater towards the scene and not the other way around :) Really good stuff!
keepfungus

Post by keepfungus »

JoelMayer wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 12:30 pm This is really great and you proved once again that for this kind of pro results it's best to have several rigs that cater towards the scene and not the other way around :) Really good stuff!
Thanks Joel.
You nailed it!
In the past I've always tried to make a rig full of controls that could fit every shot of my indie projects and…guess what? I've never succeeded.
For this project I decided to spend less time planning the perfect rig by doing something more spontaneous: drawing and moving parts. This results in less consistency but I personally find it a more immediate, fun and versatile workflow.
vimeo.com/matteoloi
justeleven.it
twitter.com/justeleven
JoelMayer

Post by JoelMayer »

keepfungus wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:53 pm
JoelMayer wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 12:30 pm This is really great and you proved once again that for this kind of pro results it's best to have several rigs that cater towards the scene and not the other way around :) Really good stuff!
Thanks Joel.
You nailed it!
In the past I've always tried to make a rig full of controls that could fit every shot of my indie projects and…guess what? I've never succeeded.
For this project I decided to spend less time planning the perfect rig by doing something more spontaneous: drawing and moving parts. This results in less consistency but I personally find it a more immediate, fun and versatile workflow.
Absolutely, that's what i'm thinking too :)

May i ask, do you think in the long run it saved you time doing it this way instead of let's say just traditional frame by frame animation to begin with? Always curious about behind the scenes stories :D
keepfungus

Post by keepfungus »

I love behind the scenes stories too!
I always start my projects with the expectation of making them frame by frame, but as soon as I start drawing (which honestly is not my forte at all) I immediately get demoralized thinking how much faster it would be to do it with a rig. I've always really liked the trembling and sketchy lines, the erasures, the shadows that the drawings on the acetate sheet project on the underlying layers, the flickering grain. That's why I love programs like Moho, because despite the coldness of digital, they provide tools to warm everything up in a more "analogue" way. I always try to get close to that hand drawing animation look but in the fastest way possible.
I know, that's cheating, however...who cares? :wink:
vimeo.com/matteoloi
justeleven.it
twitter.com/justeleven
Hoptoad

Post by Hoptoad »

I liked how the character picked-up speed as he rolled down the hill, and I like how the bushes moved to convey his changing location right before he hit the tree. The birds flying out of the tree was funny. The character's futile effort to not fall backwards was also funny.

The character kept his eyes closed until second 46. I might've had him open his eyes at around second 43, while he's facing the ground and his head is big, rather than the subsequent shot.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

It Could Happen is fantastic keepfungus! I love the designs and very nice animation.

Looking forward to the next episode! Thanks for sharing and keep up the great work. :D
keepfungus

Post by keepfungus »

Greenlaw wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:50 pm It Could Happen is fantastic keepfungus! I love the designs and very nice animation.

Looking forward to the next episode! Thanks for sharing and keep up the great work. :D
Thank you very much Greenlaw!!!
vimeo.com/matteoloi
justeleven.it
twitter.com/justeleven
lazerslab

Post by lazerslab »

Excellent work- Great Style and amazing attention to weight and timing. Props!
keepfungus

Post by keepfungus »

Thank you very much!
vimeo.com/matteoloi
justeleven.it
twitter.com/justeleven