How the wheel was invented (not really)

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

mtbuck24

How the wheel was invented (not really)

Post by mtbuck24 »

Hey guys,

Here is an animation I made for the company I work for R2AT. I got the greenlight on it today and wanted to share it with you.

I would love to know what you think please feel free to offer constructive criticism.

I teach moho and animation on youtube - https://www.youtube.com/@mccoy_buck
pihms

Re: How the wheel was invented (not really)

Post by pihms »

Very nice! Thanks for sharing.
mtbuck24

Post by mtbuck24 »

Thank you Pihms!
Almondino

Post by Almondino »

mtbuck24 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 10:24 pm Hey guys,

Here is an animation I made for the company I work for R2AT. I got the greenlight on it today and wanted to share it with you.

I would love to know what you think please feel free to offer constructive criticism.

Hi, mtbuck24
The animation looks good to me, thanks for sharing.
I'm new to Moho animation and learning yet. Although, I'm familiar with promo-reels and video production for business I don't know the mentioned R2AT company and can't get what are the purpose of the reel and placement to show it? Don't wanna criticise but, guess, have some thoughts I might share at part of possible improving the video, if you want....
mtbuck24

Post by mtbuck24 »

Hey Almondino,

Welcome to Moho and the forum! R2AT is a CAD engineering company that does product design, CAD design, instruction design and animation.

The direction I received to create the animation was to base it on product design, with cavemen and the invention of the wheel all under a minute.

So I start out the animation with a caveman hauling up rocks up a hill. For what purpose? I wasn't able to give him one as I only had less than a minute to work with. But as he pulls the rocks up one falls down and that's where he gets the idea of the wheel.

He goes to the R2AT business caveman to help him develop the wheel and that's what he does, the implementation of the wheel is the cart + wheel which solves the caveman's problem.

R2AT wants to use this as an ad for the company and when they get to the point of marketing will have a call to action at the end of the video - but no direction has been given on that yet
Almondino

Post by Almondino »

mtbuck24 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 8:46 pm Hey Almondino,

Welcome to Moho and the forum! R2AT is a CAD engineering company that does product design, CAD design, instruction design and animation.

The direction I received to create the animation was to base it on product design, with cavemen and the invention of the wheel all under a minute.

So I start out the animation with a caveman hauling up rocks up a hill. For what purpose? I wasn't able to give him one as I only had less than a minute to work with. But as he pulls the rocks up one falls down and that's where he gets the idea of the wheel.

He goes to the R2AT business caveman to help him develop the wheel and that's what he does, the implementation of the wheel is the cart + wheel which solves the caveman's problem.

R2AT wants to use this as an ad for the company and when they get to the point of marketing will have a call to action at the end of the video - but no direction has been given on that yet
Hi, thanks for welcoming and for friendly feed-back! I got you. Now it's more clear what was the direction you had. Yet there are some points as for engaging tips and ads reel's structure... I'll revert with some thoughts. Sorry for non-immediate reply. I'm travelling these days and 'll write asap
Almondino

Post by Almondino »

As promised, sharing my thoughts :) The main is I think the reel should be more personalized that way when a potential client could see/hear/feel the value of the advertised product or company TO HIM. I mean the usual pitching approach as to move by the chain of “hook-context-CTA” REFLECTING (or natively hinting to) THE CERTAIN “client’s pain” + “advertiser’s solution”. If we look at examples of the best Saas explainer videos we can notice that each of them defines the product or the company’s activity and explains its’ benefits.
So, once it is the ads for CAD-engineering company I’d put into the video some details associated with the target audience (project owners, managers etc).
For example, to add the caveman’s phrase “Uhhhhh, when I finally finish the project {i.e. client’s “headache”} ??!!”, depending on CTA at the end of video. It can be shown as a sign of thinking out loud or voiceover and/or as the sign “project” (or another client’s main problem) at the box with stones, which might be marked also as {detailed difficulties/factors} eg “budget/time/team” and so on. Preferably to add it at the first 5 sec frames even if it’s not for YouTube placement.
There might be also some “boosting factor” added, like for example a “bird landing at the stones box” or “strong wind blow”, illustrating “unexpected clients’ pains” stopping project (caveman’s movement), but released with “R2AT’s wheel designed”. Perhaps, on 39sec frame to add sign “CAD” to the master’s drawing tablet.
Normally, the company ordering creative video should give the brief with detailed requirements, ideally with the script…. Unlessthey order both script +video. Anyway, they should have directed you from the beginning with “What audience is video for”, “what client’s problem and solutions to be enlighten”, “what client's actions (CTA) to be resulting upon watched ”. As far as I understood, you’ve not been provided with all that staff, but with context only…
I’m really impressed, how you’ve made the ads without given full details! Really well done!