A year without any updates

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

maxman3000

A year without any updates

Post by maxman3000 »

It's being a year now since Moho 13.5.5 and there's been no info on what Moho 14 is going to bring or if it's even going to happen. I don't need it released now, hell I don't even need a release date, I just need to know if you are working on it.

And I don't want a "Don't worry, we're hard at work😊" I need an actual PROOF! A planned feature list, a screencap, even just the new logo for 14. Just something, anything.

I just really don't want this software to become abandoned.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Re: A year without any updates

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Hello, maxman3000. Moho is in constant development and in a very good shape. It's not abandoned at all.
It has been an interesting time behind the curtains and we can't wait to show you all what we have been working on.
Please be attentive to the forum, newsletter and our social media. Any news related to a future version (logo, screenshots, features, etc.) will be shared there when the time comes.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

I think we should introduce a new habit here in the forum: any first time poster (like this one) with only 1 posting complaining about Moho (not having feature X, urging to get feature Y, or demanding a new version) should be completely ignored. Furthermore I suggest we just delete those posts as they are clearly not from anybody using Moho in the first place.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

slowtiger wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 8:45 am I think we should introduce a new habit here ...
The 'age' of a posters' registration or first post does not equate to the duration nor intensity of their use of Moho. I would imagine many people have no need for forums (et al.) until they have a problem, query or complaint. Besides if you delete the posts then there is no response reference - for other lurkers to review, and you may end up with even more posts on similar subjects.
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

IMO something like a twice a year "heartbeat" PR announcement from LM - even one that is largely just a teaser and mostly devoid of hard promises - will go a long way to pre-empting posts such as the OP and may even provide some good feedback on what the user-base actually wants to see in the next version.
ernesttxx

Post by ernesttxx »

Yes, would be bad precedent. I've been using Moho since version 2.5 and this forum only says I have 5 posts! I quite agree with hayasidist, some sort of communication would be nice.
BrianLucas

Post by BrianLucas »

This was my concern a few months ago. I wanted to know about the future of Moho. I received the same answer. Let's wait and see. I'm seeing alternatives just in case.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

I just ignore it until someone like Victor answers.

Maybe we could get a gif of Mike hammering at a keyboard to post as a response. :wink:
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

I really don't get this mindset. I still use Moho version 8 happily, which is 12 yrs old. 90% of what I do can be done with that version. The recent version 13.5 is stable and works perfectly for me, I expect to use it another 10 yrs. Of course I will update whenever there's a chance, but my work doesn't depend on any new features in the future. Show me your work in progress, your finished films, your amazing scenes, and explain to me why you can't do them in the current version.

(Apologies to Mike & the team, of course here I completely ignore how their business works.)

opeth

Post by opeth »

Moho is truly an amazing program. We do all our animations and drawings on moho. Version 13.5 works really stable. Every time a new version comes out, even if the version we have is sufficient, we will buy it to support moho and discover its new features. Thank you for bringing such a program to life and still working on it. :D
Moho 13 / 13.5 MacBook Pro 16'2 M1 Max 32gb.
Designspaceman

Post by Designspaceman »

Well, the question of the initial poster may come from curiosity, not from an urgent need for a new feature. Moho is a powerful tool which runs very stable on my Mac Mini. It gives me the right tools and freedom to do my animations in the style I want it to be. So it may last a bit longer til Moho 14 will appear. Okay. I trust in the vision of Mike and Victor... and that the strong connection to Cartoon Saloon will result in the things we are hoping for. Meanwhile I do what I like: create animations. ;-)
Designspaceman

Post by Designspaceman »

And: I have around 30 Posts. But I'm part of this forum for a long time. To me it seems that Greenlaw, Synthsin75, slowtiger (and a lot people more) are always faster in reposting a solution for problems than me. It also seems that my answer is not necessary at this time. But I promise to get faster. I even do brain callisthenics to get faster. Next time I'll be fast :lol:
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

slowtiger wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 7:24 am I really don't get this mindset. I still use Moho version 8 happily, which is 12 yrs old. 90% of what I do can be done with that version. The recent version 13.5 is stable and works perfectly for me, I expect to use it another 10 yrs. Of course I will update whenever there's a chance, but my work doesn't depend on any new features in the future. Show me your work in progress, your finished films, your amazing scenes, and explain to me why you can't do them in the current version.

(Apologies to Mike & the team, of course here I completely ignore how their business works.)
Of course we can use Mohon 8. But can't your amazing scenes be made on paper? If we only had that, we would use that. Luckily, we have many great options nowadays that are way more convenient, and even those can be greatly improved. So it's not about being able to do our amazing scenes, it's about choosing the best tools at your disposal. And if a new user still didn't invest the time and the money in learning a complex software like Moho, it is wise to take into consideration the health and direction of the software.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Maybe I'm wired completely differently, but if I buy a software then I care about what it can do right now. I don't care about what it might be able to do next year. As for support, the best sign of commercial health will always be Moho's engangement withing this forum, and that is quite well over average.