Moho and After Effects not playing together nicely

A place to discuss non-Moho software for use in animation. Video editors, audio editors, 3D modelers, etc.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

danielluz

Moho and After Effects not playing together nicely

Post by danielluz »

Hi Guys,

This is my first post, so a BIG hello, and also apologies if Im using the wrong board for this.

I primarily use After Effects, but have fallen in love with Moho,and am using it for all my character animation now.

The problem that I am experiencing is that when I render my animation out of Moho, After Effects stops updating the preview window, so I can no longer scrub/ram preview through footage or compositions in AE.

My graphics card (RTX 2080ti) and software are all on the latest versions, so Im really stumped!?
If I restart After Effects, sometimes the problem goes away, if not I have to reboot.

Any ideas or input or insight would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers!
slowtiger

Re: Moho and After Effects not playing together nicely

Post by slowtiger »

I'm guessing right now: do you mean you have imported something into AFX, then render this again out of Moho with the same name and overwrite the existing file, and then AFX doesn't show preview/scrub? If so, this behaviour happens in half of the programs I use. Has something to do with the OS way of locking a file while in use. Workaround: just use different naming each time you export.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I use Ae with Moho routinely and haven't seen this problem. If Ae doesn't pick up the changed Moho renders immediately, I select the footage and choose Reload Footage from the r-click menu.

However, sometimes having Ae open can conflict with another program when trying to overwrite a render. I often run into this between Ae and Nuke but it probably happens with Moho too. In this situation, I just close everything but the program I'm rendering from. Curiously, this error doesn't occur consistently for me.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Oh yeah, closing the programs. I have to do that a lot in my workflow!
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
Zortakka

Post by Zortakka »

danielluz wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:44 am The problem that I am experiencing is that when I render my animation out of Moho, After Effects stops updating the preview window, so I can no longer scrub/ram preview through footage or compositions in AE.
Just experiencing the same issue on my Windows 10Pro PC (i7-i6700k, 64GB Ram, Nvidia 1080Ti, Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH). After rendering a Sequence in Moho 13.5, AE is not able to update any Preview Window (some may call it Canvas) in any Program. Restarting AE does help to Update the window briefly, but it freezes after the second click or so in the Timeline again. I am using the most recent AE 2023 + NVidia 1080Ti with most recent drivers. Windows is on auto Update. I have never experienced this issue with any other program or Program combination and I tend to keep a lot of Programs running at the same time (in a worst case scenario there might be DaVinci Resolve, AE, Premiere, Photoshop, Media Encoder, Handbrake, Topas Video AI open at the same time (just an example, opening that many programs at the same time is not regular to me. So this was just an example to show that my system is not having stability issues with other Programs despite having to handle a lot.) Back to this scenario, I am only running Moho and After Effects, but after using the Export Animation Tool within Moho and switching with the new PNG sequence into After Effects it is not Possible to continue. Only a full restart is able to fix the problem. Closing Moho after this Export, is not helping to make AE work properly.

So I do not know what to do now and I am happy for ideas.

I guess it is an issue with some Task or resource in the Task Manager that both Moho and AE claim, and killing the Task might fix everything. Maybe.
BigBoiiiJones

Post by BigBoiiiJones »

Zortakka wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:40 pm
danielluz wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:44 am The problem that I am experiencing is that when I render my animation out of Moho, After Effects stops updating the preview window, so I can no longer scrub/ram preview through footage or compositions in AE.
Just experiencing the same issue on my Windows 10Pro PC (i7-i6700k, 64GB Ram, Nvidia 1080Ti, Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH). After rendering a Sequence in Moho 13.5, AE is not able to update any Preview Window (some may call it Canvas) in any Program. Restarting AE does help to Update the window briefly, but it freezes after the second click or so in the Timeline again. I am using the most recent AE 2023 + NVidia 1080Ti with most recent drivers. Windows is on auto Update. I have never experienced this issue with any other program or Program combination and I tend to keep a lot of Programs running at the same time (in a worst case scenario there might be DaVinci Resolve, AE, Premiere, Photoshop, Media Encoder, Handbrake, Topas Video AI open at the same time (just an example, opening that many programs at the same time is not regular to me. So this was just an example to show that my system is not having stability issues with other Programs despite having to handle a lot.) Back to this scenario, I am only running Moho and After Effects, but after using the Export Animation Tool within Moho and switching with the new PNG sequence into After Effects it is not Possible to continue. Only a full restart is able to fix the problem. Closing Moho after this Export, is not helping to make AE work properly.

So I do not know what to do now and I am happy for ideas.

I guess it is an issue with some Task or resource in the Task Manager that both Moho and AE claim, and killing the Task might fix everything. Maybe.
I'm getting this as well and only a full restart fixes it not sure if its Moho bugging out a driver or After Effects but I have a i9 10900k, RTX 3090, 64GB DDR4 RAM, and I'm running Windows 11. So I know its not my specs. I'm using the latest versions of both software.
Zortakka

Post by Zortakka »

Is the new Moho Version 14 maybe fixing our problem?