Smart Bone bug - Mix Smart Bones

Discuss Moho bugs (or suspected bugs) with other users. To report bugs to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

heyvern

Smart Bone bug - Mix Smart Bones

Post by heyvern »

So I was attempting A.Evseeva's smart bone mixing trick and it's working a treat. However one itty bitty tiny little... uh... gigantic annoying bug.
Keep in mind this technique uses standard smart bone features within Moho. There's no script involved no fancy tricks. It's simply "nested" smart bones.

I have a "fix" bone with its action to "fix" two other smart bones when they are used at the same time. 99% of the two smart bones is standard point translation and all was going great. Unfortunately, I needed to do bone rotation in the mix bone/action.

After setting it up and testing it, the action for the "fix" bone works fine if I rotate it on its own. That's how I tested the results to see if it was working. When the actual bone is rotated and that bone has "hard" keyed actual "real" rotation values set everything is magical. Sadly things go wrong when I set a rotation of this fix bone in the OTHER TWO smart bone actions. All the point movements work absolutely fine but none of the bone rotations are activated when the fix bone is rotated within ANOTHER smart bone action until I "click" on the bone rotation and force a key that inserts a rotation value. When the bone is rotated via other smart bone actions there is NO rotation value in the rotate bone properties. Only after clicking the bone does the value show up and the screen updates.

I think this is probably some sort of "refresh" or update issue? Just guessing. no clue. It's very disappointing because this technique was working great but now is useless for me without being able to include other bone rotations in "nested" smart bone actions.

I am trying to use this technique for head turns. When turning left and right up and down I am using the "mix" technique with "split actions" activated by this mix bone trick to fix and blend the two actions. I love how it works but the dang bone rotation is driving me whacky. For example, I simply translate the eyes and eyebrows via a bone for a sideways head turn. When I create a separate action to blend an up/down I need to translate and rotate the eye and brow bones as well as translate. The translate works great but rotation is what's wonky. They however won't budge in this technique.

Any help would be appreciated.
heyvern

Re: Smart Bone bug - Mix Smart Bones

Post by heyvern »

Hmmm.... additional info.

After rotating one of the main smart bones that activates another smart bone, the bone rotation is "zero" nada nothing. The other bone allows stacked rotations. However if that rotation activates another BONE ROTATION it won't actually work unless you rotate the bone the additional value beyond what the controlling smart bone has rotated it.

For example. Bone 1 and Bone 2 and Bone 3. Bone 1 and 2 are the main smart bones. Bone 3 has smart bone actions to fix and blend 1 and 2. All of its magic happens at 45 degrees and 90 degrees. in the Bone 3 action you key another bones rotation at 45 degrees in the time line.

Now in Bone 1 and/or Bone 2 actions you add a key for Bone 3. The two of them together will push Bone 3 PAST the 45-degree rotation value and SHOULD ROTATE THE BONE KEY in bone 3 action. However it will not rotate. The rotation value of Bone 3 in the timeline is ZERO even though it should have a value.

Now if you rotate Bone 3 you must got the full distance to reach 45 degrees to activate the bone rotation in the action. It's as if the action isn't doing anything at all. It's simply rotating the bone but "not really" it's still at zero.

It' appears very odd but is easily repeatable and happens consistently in "nested" actions.