Animation runs 3 times slower in v14. Anybody knows why?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

mmmaarten

Animation runs 3 times slower in v14. Anybody knows why?

Post by mmmaarten »

Hi,

Today I was happy to see v14 just came out (thanks Lost Marble, didn't see this coming at this point), so just upgraded, installed and configured it the same way as I had 13.5.5 configured (except for external scripts).

Then I opened the project I was currently working on in 13.5.5, but now in v14. But to my surprise it runs 3 times (!!) slower than the project runs in 13.5.5 (7 fps in v14 compared to 21 fps (after caching) in 13.5), which is so slow now that unfortunately it's unworkable. That's dissapointing. Even a run cycle looks like the character now runs in reverse because it's skipping many frames making the animation look weird and not as supposed to making the viewport unreliable unfortunately because of the lack of frames / skipped frames :(

I didn't expect this huge decrease in performance, so I'm wondering if I'm missing something. On the Lost Marble youtube channel I saw Lost marble writing that v13 files should be compatible in v14, so that shouldn't be it. I did try to turn effects and everything off (although there weren't any, just to be sure) and that didn't change anything. I have GPU caching enabled and have GPU enabled in the settings too. All drivers are up to date and I'm using an RTX4080 on a fast system which both are still pretty new (bought this summer) (using Windows 11)

Am I missing something? Why doesn't the animation play at least as fast as in v13.5.5? Hoping this could be improved somehow because how it looks now it makes working in v14 with this project impossible honestly :cry: .
Adults should play more often
JoelMayer

Re: Animation runs 3 times slower in v14. Anybody knows why?

Post by JoelMayer »

That definitely shouldn't happen, if anything, Mohoh should be 3 times FASTER (for me it's buttery smooth and a dream).

Nevermind, i just saw you're on Windows oops.
Are you on a Mac and have a high density display? Moho's interface can have trouble with that so try running the software in low resolution mode. There's a terminal command in the custom content folder under Extra Files -> Mac

If not, then the only thing i could think that causes this are negative keyframes for which i always used this script (i think) to delete them: https://www.lostmarble.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32714

Next i'd try out an example scene that comes with the software a really heavy one to see if it plays back normally so you at least know whether it's to do with your file or Moho.

If that doesn't work i would do a completely clean uninstall of Moho and re-install it.
mmmaarten

Post by mmmaarten »

JoelMayer wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:25 pm That definitely shouldn't happen, if anything, Mohoh should be 3 times FASTER (for me it's buttery smooth and a dream).
Thanks for your response Joel. I wish I could say the same.
JoelMayer wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:25 pm Nevermind, i just saw you're on Windows oops.
Are you on a Mac and have a high density display? Moho's interface can have trouble with that so try running the software in low resolution mode. There's a terminal command in the custom content folder under Extra Files -> Mac
I did change something after my message above now tho; I now set the Moho 14 application to performance mode on Windows too, just like I had Moho 13.5.5. Which does indeed change something; now it runs 8 fps (which was 7 fps before), but clearly that's not enough as in 13.5.5 it's running at 21 fps.
JoelMayer wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:25 pm If not, then the only thing i could think that causes this are negative keyframes for which i always used this script (i think) to delete them: https://www.lostmarble.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32714
Thanks. I just ran that script, and it says that the project doesn't have any negative keyframes.
JoelMayer wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:25 pm Next i'd try out an example scene that comes with the software a really heavy one to see if it plays back normally so you at least know whether it's to do with your file or Moho.
I just tried one of the v13 files that v14 installed in the library and that runs fine at 23 fps. However, that's all vector work. My project is all raster images (image sequences on bones even), which looks way more critical in Moho compared to vectors. The project was already quite heavy in v13.5.5, but at least it worked there to get a somewhat decent preview (after the viewport finished its cashing) that gives an impression of movement in the viewport. But in v14 it skips 67% of the frames
JoelMayer wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:25 pm If that doesn't work i would do a completely clean uninstall of Moho and re-install it.
I didn't upgrade v13.5.5, I already installed v14 fresh from scratch as a new program (besides v13.5.5, so in a new and separate folder, also with a new and separate separate custom folder). BTW I'm not running both programs at the same time.

Just to show what I bump into I just made a quick video to show the difference. I had to use my phone to record it because I couldn't use OBS as it would influence the performance. First you see the project using v13.5.5, than you see the same project but in v14. My phone recorded at around 30fps, so it's not ideal on a 24 fps animation, but at leat you get some impression and you can clearly see the fps counter of moho in both programs.
JoelMayer

Post by JoelMayer »

Hm yea i mean both bitmaps and vectors run much smoother in 14. It's weird, i'd also look at some bitmap examples.

The only thing i can say is it definitely shouldn't do that but i have no idea what the cause could be i'd suggest writing support and maybe give them access to your file as well. Good luck.
mmmaarten

Post by mmmaarten »

JoelMayer wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 7:07 pm The only thing i can say is it definitely shouldn't do that but i have no idea what the cause could be i'd suggest writing support and maybe give them access to your file as well. Good luck.
Just created a ticket for it on the Lost Marble site. Let's hope for the best! Thanks again for the quick and helpful responses
JoelMayer

Post by JoelMayer »

I'm sure you'll get it to work. It is 14.0 after all and with the amount of graphics cards and drivers out there these days who knows what can happen. But it's definitely worth the effort because the new viewport is really *chef's kiss* ^^
mmmaarten

Post by mmmaarten »

JoelMayer wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 7:48 pm I'm sure you'll get it to work. It is 14.0 after all and with the amount of graphics cards and drivers out there these days who knows what can happen. But it's definitely worth the effort because the new viewport is really *chef's kiss* ^^
I wouldn't know how tho. I already use an RTX4080 and a very powerful and new and up to date machine which is working great in more demanding 3d software, so not much more I can do at this point I'm afraid. Unless there's some new (hidden) setting in v14 that I need to be aware of. In that case I'm all ears. Other than that I hope to get some positive response by Lost Marble soon as it's starting to look like something's off in the new engine that cannot handle this project like 13.5.5 did for some reason. I expect the reason to be something in relation to this project having image sequences used as images on bones. It looks like 13.5.5 could handle image sequences after caching and maybe 14 doesn't do caching or has a limit to the cache or whatever because it's now on the GPU. But that's only me speculating. Hopefully Lost Marble knows more and there's a way to solve this.

Just watched some new tutorial videos on the last marble yt channel and there's some great and very useful new features I'm looking forward to use tho! Great additions
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Due to v14 showing more effects in the workspace and during playback, you might try disabling shape/layer effects, masking, or brushes, at the bottom of the workspace.
It looks like you have all of them enabled.
mmmaarten

Post by mmmaarten »

synthsin75 wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:48 pm Due to v14 showing more effects in the workspace and during playback, you might try disabling shape/layer effects, masking, or brushes, at the bottom of the workspace.
It looks like you have all of them enabled.
Thanks for the advise. However, as I wrote, I already tried that. It didn't help, which makes sense as there are no effects, no masking and no brushes