Buttons for Selected Points/Bones

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Hoptoad

Buttons for Selected Points/Bones

Post by Hoptoad »

A button for "Reset Selected Points/Bones" would get a lot of use by me. I seldom want to reset more than one bone at a time, so the button that resets all the bones isn't very helpful.

Also, a button for "Freeze Selected Points/Bones" would be great. I frequently only want to freeze particular bones in a limb, not everything.

Thanks for making this awesome animation software. :D
Lukas

Re: Buttons for Selected Points/Bones

Post by Lukas »

I have an unreleased tool that does this for bones. You can even reset only rotation/position (x y or both) or scale, independently. Actually it just copies the values from frame 0, you can also set that to another frame and copy from anywhere instead of resetting. It's part of a very complex tool tailored to our own rigs. I'll try to simplify it at some point and release it.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Hoptoad wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 12:50 am A button for "Reset Selected Points/Bones" would get a lot of use by me. I seldom want to reset more than one bone at a time, so the button that resets all the bones isn't very helpful.

Also, a button for "Freeze Selected Points/Bones" would be great. I frequently only want to freeze particular bones in a limb, not everything.
In the menu, Draw>Reset Points and Bone>Reset Bone do only reset the selected points and bones.

Draw>Freeze Selected Points and Bone>Freeze Selected Bones do only freeze selected.

And you can assign these to custom shortcuts.
Hoptoad

Post by Hoptoad »

Lukas wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 6:04 am I have an unreleased tool that does this for bones. You can even reset only rotation/position (x y or both) or scale, independently. Actually it just copies the values from frame 0, you can also set that to another frame and copy from anywhere instead of resetting. It's part of a very complex tool tailored to our own rigs. I'll try to simplify it at some point and release it.
That sounds awesome. I've often wished Moho could easily reset the values from another frame besides 0.
synthsin75 wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 8:42 am
In the menu, Draw>Reset Points and Bone>Reset Bone do only reset the selected points and bones.

Draw>Freeze Selected Points and Bone>Freeze Selected Bones do only freeze selected.

And you can assign these to custom shortcuts.
I just made the custom shortcut keys. Thanks for the suggestion.

It still seems to me that the usefulness of these functions deserve buttons. Am I the only one who uses RESET a lot?

I'd prefer not to take my hand off the mouse to use the keyboard. After using the mouse to select several points or bones, it would be so easy to move the pointer and click a button. BAM!

Lost Marble, please add the buttons in the next incremental update.
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

Maybe a modifier would be a good solution to not add too much clutter to the UI. Pressing alt (for example) and clicking on freeze would freeze selected. The same for reset. The buttons already have tooltips so adding this info to them would make it discoverable.