about smart bone actios copy

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

mohgirl

about smart bone actios copy

Post by mohgirl »

I have 10 characters with many layers and bindings. Now I need to create a full-body 180-degree turn action, a 180-degree head turn, and a 180-degree turn for both body and head. These three actions have duplicate keyframes, and it would be too time-consuming to create them one by one. If I could copy the 180-degree full-body turn action, I would only need to delete the unwanted keyframes to obtain the other two turn actions.
sang820

Re: about smart bone actios copy

Post by sang820 »

:shock: moho is not a 3D software. You can only manually adjust the rotation of different feature models and find the best cost performance through a lot of work.
:shock: Modeling and adjusting models is also part of the fun of Moho, isn't it?
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Some general tips regarding creating turns and duplicating actions:

When I'm building a 360-turning character, I like to make two levels of controls:

1. A single directional 'loop' control that turns the character's head or body a full 360 degrees. This control should be hidden using Shy Bone because it shouldn't be keyframed during animation.
2. A dual directional 'turn' control that controls the hidden 'loop' control. In one direction, I'll have this control rotate the body part 720 degrees (1 full turn, then reset and turn again,) to allow me to over-shoot my turns when necessary. Then I'll do the same for the second direction but also keyframing the 'loop' to play 'backwards'.

Since I started doing this, it's cut down the amount of turning animations I need to create by half because I only need to animate the character in one direction (the
'loop' control) to get it to turn in both directions (the 'turn' control).

Depending on the character design and the level of control I need, I'll create this two-level setup for the head, body, arms and legs individually.

For mirroring the arms and legs, I used to import the rigged parts into a separate project where I could rename the action and bone names for the mirrored versions, and flip the artwork and/or bones. Then, I could safely import these mirrored limbs back into the original rig project.

Nowadays, I would use Kuzkuz's MR Transform Rig Tool, which can do this sort of editing directly without moving to a second project.

Either approach works well. You just need to plan for it and pay close attention to the naming.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I forgot to mention that I also have separate hand-turning controls. It's the same idea, but for hands, It's usually just a switch to 'rotate' to reveal another switch of hand poses in a different view angle. You can keep these controls in sync so that the current hand pose is maintained for each angle when you switch view angles. This takes quite a bit of planning, but it's not difficult.

I could go deeper regarding rigging hand and finger controls, but that's a whole other topic :D
mohgirl

Post by mohgirl »

sang820 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:03 pm :shock: moho is not a 3D software. You can only manually adjust the rotation of different feature models and find the best cost performance through a lot of work.
:shock: Modeling and adjusting models is also part of the fun of Moho, isn't it?
I am not talking about mutual drive actions between two different character models. Firstly, it is a problem with the character. Usually, the character needs to rotate 180 degrees, and the head of the character also needs a separate rotation of 180 degrees. This head rotation of 180 degrees is exactly the same as the full body rotation of 180 degrees. The usual practice is that I need to create intelligent bones and then manually copy the head rotation from the previous full body rotation of 180 degrees. My character has quite a few layers, which is very time-consuming for me.
mohgirl

Post by mohgirl »

Greenlaw wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:33 pm Some general tips regarding creating turns and duplicating actions:

When I'm building a 360-turning character, I like to make two levels of controls:

1. A single directional 'loop' control that turns the character's head or body a full 360 degrees. This control should be hidden using Shy Bone because it shouldn't be keyframes during animation.
2. A dual directional 'turn' control that actually controls the hidden 'loop' control. In one direction, I'll have this control rotate the body part 720 degrees (1 full turn, then reset and turn again,) to allow me to over-shoot my turns when necessary. Then I'll do the same for the second direction but also keyframing the 'loop' to play 'backwards'.

Since I started doing this, it's cut down the amount of turning animations I need to create by half because I only need to animate the character in one direction (the
'loop') to get it to turn in both directions (the 'turn').

Depending on the character design and the level of control I need, I'll create this two-level setup for the head, body, arms and legs individually.

For the arms and legs, I used to import the rigged parts into a separate project where I could rename the action and bone names for the mirrored limb, and flip the artwork and/or bones. Then I could safely import these mirrored limbs back into the original rig project.

Nowadays, I would use Kuzkuz's MR Transform Rig Tool, which can do this sort of editing directly without moving to a second project.

Either approach works well, you just need to plan for it and pay close attention to the naming.

Hope this helps.
I have tried this kukuzi script, copying the intelligent bone controller, but it doesn't work. It only copies the same bone controller without any animations inside.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I would stick with the import-then-rename-bones-and-actions approach then. I did this for several TV shows for years, and it works fine. The bones, artwork, and actions, including all keyframes, will come through.

Just be sure to establish your naming conventions before you begin. It can be a headache to change after the fact.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Oh, if your Smart Bones Dials have a parent bone, you'll also want to maintain that hierarchy, or the rotation keys for the Dial may break. You don't need to copy the entire project, just the parent and descendants so you preserve the rotation values for the child bones.

If you break the Smart Bone Dial, don't worry: just delete and recreate the rotation keys. It's not a big deal, just something to be aware of.
mohgirl

Post by mohgirl »

Perhaps I didn't express myself clearly enough. Below is my demonstration video. I feel like adding a right click in the action panel to copy a copy of the action, so that I can leave behind the head rotation action I need and delete the body rotation action. Perhaps there are other simple ways?

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/jr5wfbo1 ... 0opp2&dl=0
mohgirl

Post by mohgirl »

Greenlaw wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:33 pm Oh, if your Smart Bones Dials have a parent bone, you'll also want to maintain that hierarchy, or the rotation keys for the Dial may break. You don't need to copy the entire project, just the parent and descendants so you preserve the rotation values for the child bones.

If you break the Smart Bone Dial, don't worry: just delete and recreate the rotation keys. It's not a big deal, just something to be aware of.
thanks
sang820

Post by sang820 »

:shock: 可能你讲中文我会更快明白你的问题所在。但无论如何你的图层太多了,任何方式的调整都会很繁琐,所以没想过优化一下么?
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

mohgirl, this character is soooo cute! 😸

I'll take a look at the issue later today.
mohgirl

Post by mohgirl »

Advika wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:03 pm Smart bone actions copy is a handy feature for animators. It allows you to duplicate complex bone movements effortlessly, saving time and ensuring consistency in animations. By streamlining the process of replicating actions, it enhances workflow efficiency and creativity. This feature is a game-changer for those working on intricate character animations or repetitive sequences, making it an essential tool in any animator's toolkit.
Yes. My characters usually have more layers. I usually rotate the whole body left and right first, then the head left and right, and the upper part of the body left and right. But I have already done these actions in the whole body rotation of the character, and copying and pasting these key frames is very time-consuming for me. If I could copy a full-body smart skeletal motion, I could just select the layer keyframes I didn't want and delete them to get the motion I wanted.
SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

mohgirl wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 1:40 am Yes. My characters usually have more layers...
I think you just replied to an AI robot.

A quick 'human' question: Would it not be slightly easier - if you made the Head Turn action, and then just rotated the Head Turn bone as part of the Body Turn action?

I think the quickest solution for your smart-bone-action duplication is to Insert a Copy of Body Turn into Head Turn:

1) Create new Head Turn bone
2) Add new smart-action to Head Turn
whilst in Head Turn edit...
3) Right-click "Body Turn" > Insert Copy
4) Select Body Turn bone, and cut 'Selected Bone Angle' keyframes from Head Turn timeline
5) Select Head Turn bone, and paste keyframes to Head Turn timeline

You should now also have all the action keys in all the child layers too.
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

mohgirl wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 1:42 am Perhaps I didn't express myself clearly enough. Below is my demonstration video. I feel like adding a right click in the action panel to copy a copy of the action, so that I can leave behind the head rotation action I need and delete the body rotation action. Perhaps there are other simple ways?

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/jr5wfbo1 ... 0opp2&dl=0
I opened this file and Windows detected a trojan "Wacatac" virus and put it in quarantine. Chrome also detects a virus. I don't think this is a false positive. You should delete that link from your comment and I recomend you to check your system.