can't color same shape with two colors

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

animax940

can't color same shape with two colors

Post by animax940 »

Hi everyone
Moho 14 has an issue that it won't allow you to color the shape with two colors if you divide it from the middle
for example: a squire wants to make it half black and half white.
This issue isn't on Moho 13.5
I hope it fixed
Daxel

Re: can't color same shape with two colors

Post by Daxel »

I can't replicate that here using Moho 14.

Maybe you did it in the wrong order? In Moho you can't divide a shape into two. Even if you create points dividing the shape, the shape is still one as it was originaly created, which in most cases is very cool. If you want to divide a shape into two, divide it using points but also delete the original shape and create a new one selecting just half of the square and then create the second shape with the points of the other half of the square. That should work, but maybe I'm missing something about your case.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

animax940 wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:23 pm Moho 14 has an issue that it won't allow you to color the shape with two colors if you divide it from the middle

I'm not sure what you mean. Can you post an image or Moho 13.5.5 and 14 example projects?
animax940

Post by animax940 »

Daxel wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:48 pm I can't replicate that here using Moho 14.

Maybe you did it in the wrong order? In Moho you can't divide a shape into two. Even if you create points dividing the shape, the shape is still one as it was originaly created, which in most cases is very cool. If you want to divide a shape into two, divide it using points but also delete the original shape and create a new one selecting just half of the square and then create the second shape with the points of the other half of the square. That should work, but maybe I'm missing something about your case.

sorry this is not the issue >>
It is one shape but I need to make it with two different colors
in this case I have to divide it in two halfs but not separate them in order to have one shape
the problem is after I color it there is extra points show up in the edges
the same problem happens when I make a shape then I color it with paint bucket
animax940

Post by animax940 »

Greenlaw wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 7:57 pm
animax940 wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:23 pm Moho 14 has an issue that it won't allow you to color the shape with two colors if you divide it from the middle

I'm not sure what you mean. Can you post an image or Moho 13.5.5 and 14 example projects?
yeah sure

https://imageupload.io/SGMp3jhOpLJdLJd MOHO 13.5

https://imageupload.io/2YhjoJYzZebLBxX MOHO 14
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Still not quite understanding. Can you post an example?

Normally, you can only have a single color inside a shape unless you use an effect, like a Gradient or image texture. Another possibility is Vertex Colors. Do you mean any of these options?

You can split any shape into two shapes and give each shape its own color/style. But that's working with two shapes, not one.

After that, I can only think of masking interior shapes to create the appearance of multiple colors inside a single shape.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Ah, I just saw your links. Will check them out shortly. Thanks!
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

From what I can tell by the images, you do have two shapes in both the 13.5.5 and 14 versions.

Are you using Paint Bucket to create the shapes in the 14 version? That's not an ideal way to create a shape because the results can be 'dirty' if the curves aren't properly constructed. Normally, I only use Paint Bucket when I'm in a hurry or when I'm drawing FBF and not concerned about getting the cleanest fill shapes.

To create clean shapes using only the existing points, it's best to select the points you want to fill using the Create Shape tool and then pressing Enter. For example...

Hope this helps.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

That said, I just tried Paint Bucket, and it works fine in this case...I guess it's because they're just two squares and not complex paths (curvey with many points and intersections.)

animax940

Post by animax940 »

Greenlaw wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:09 pm That said, I just tried Paint Bucket, and it works fine in this case...I guess it's because they're just two squares and not complex paths (curvey with many points and intersections.)

Hey .. thanks so much for your reply
yeah it sounds good for me to use the Create Shape tool for painting but even so the paimt bucket was faster and clean on moho 13.5
see in this video link how it looks like with om my computer

https://gemoo.com/tools/upload-video/sh ... 2424655872
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Hmm...that's very strange because that's not happening here when I use Paint Bucket. The example I posted above is from Moho 14, and I'm getting clean 4-point square shapes with Paint Bucket.

After work tonight, I'll look at this and see if I can figure out why it's working for me but not for you. Can you share your file?
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

I only see that if I try to paint the two halves over an existing shape.

You should try to avoid that, as stacked shapes can cause bad anti-aliasing.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Ok, I see what's going on: You seem to be creating a shape on top of another shape using the Paint Bucket. I tried that here and got the irregular shape seen in your image.

FYI, this isn't a proper way to create a shape or change an existing shape's color in Moho. You should be editing the existing shape's Style.

Here are a few proper ways to do this.
  • Use Select Shape and edit the color from the Style Window.
  • Use the Eye Dropper to Pick and Push the color. I like to create my own 'sampler' layer for this. It's more useful than the Swatches list because I can edit and update it directly.
  • If the shape doesn't already exist, use Create Shape as indicated above.
I'm sure there are other ways to handle this...these three just came to mind.

If your intention is to create multiple stacked shapes (for animated Shape order, maybe?), you should create the additional shapes the normal way, not with the Paint Bucket. The proper (and very easy way) is to click on the shape with the Create Shape tool and press enter. This will create a new shape on top of the existing shape using the same points as the original. You can edit this second shape as you wish and still have the original shape underneath. To move these shapes up and down, use the up/down arrows. Shift up/down will send the selection to front and back.

Paint Bucket seems to work okay when there isn't a shape already there, as in my example, but this is not something I normally do because of how Paint Bucket works. This not a bug, by the way. Paint Bucket uses a different method internally to create shapes, and it's more suitable for the tasks I described earlier.
animax940

Post by animax940 »

Greenlaw wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 2:17 am Ok, I see what's going on: You seem to be creating a shape on top of another shape using the Paint Bucket. I tried that here and got the irregular shape seen in your image.

FYI, this isn't a proper way to create a shape or change an existing shape's color in Moho. You should be editing the existing shape's Style.

Here are a few proper ways to do this.
  • Use Select Shape and edit the color from the Style Window.
  • Use the Eye Dropper to Pick and Push the color. I like to create my own 'sampler' layer for this. It's more useful than the Swatches list because I can edit and update it directly.
  • If the shape doesn't already exist, use Create Shape as indicated above.
I'm sure there are other ways to handle this...these three just came to mind.

If your intention is to create multiple stacked shapes (for animated Shape order, maybe?), you should create the additional shapes the normal way, not with the Paint Bucket. The proper (and very easy way) is to click on the shape with the Create Shape tool and press enter. This will create a new shape on top of the existing shape using the same points as the original. You can edit this second shape as you wish and still have the original shape underneath. To move these shapes up and down, use the up/down arrows. Shift up/down will send the selection to front and back.

Paint Bucket seems to work okay when there isn't a shape already there, as in my example, but this is not something I normally do because of how Paint Bucket works. This not a bug, by the way. Paint Bucket uses a different method internally to create shapes, and it's more suitable for the tasks I described earlier.
No,I didn't create a shape on top of another and you can see that in my last post
the problem is Moho 14 itself doing that after I painted the shape with the bucket I got a new ugly shape over the original one check the video in my last post plz
animax940

Post by animax940 »

synthsin75 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 2:04 am I only see that if I try to paint the two halves over an existing shape.

You should try to avoid that, as stacked shapes can cause bad anti-aliasing.
I already know that I'm not a new Moho user :)