Lost Scripts' Shapes Window (**New** BETA 3) for Moho 14.1 Pro

Moho allows users to write new tools and plugins. Discuss scripting ideas and problems here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Hoptoad

Re: Lost Scripts' Shapes Window (BETA) for Moho 14

Post by Hoptoad »

Another MacOS user here. The script works great. Thanks!

I never thought I'd see the day when I would give my shapes custom names. . .but that day has arrived. :D
Rai López

Post by Rai López »

Daxel wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:16 pm So far everything worked correctly except that after naming a shape, pressing enter doesn't confirm the editing (I can still select another shape and the editing will be confirmed).
First off, thanks for the feedback and kind words! About the Name field and enter, yeah... It's a known issue and at first I thought I may be not doing it right or something, but after studying a little better I'm afraid it's the expected text fields behavior when used in this kind of modeless dialogs. I know pressing the Enter key is simply too hard coded in brain, but I still hope someday I got used to press e.g. the Tab key in this cases instead :roll: (actually I tend to simply click anywhere to confirm, but knowing the other way would be quicker).
Daxel wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:16 pm And the panel position memory that as I read is not possible yet (I hope Moho adds that soon too).
🙄🤞

Hoptoad wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:13 pm Another MacOS user here. The script works great. Thanks!
I never thought I'd see the day when I would give my shapes custom names. . .but that day has arrived.
Well thanks for the feedback too! I'm glad to read that and it still surprise me there was no issues or errors on MacOS when one is working kind of blind regarding that, but if that's the case all the merit belongs to developers, for providing a so reliable cross platform scripting system/environment. Regarding shape naming habit, good to know I won't feel alone about that anymore :')

BTW, development continues even though it could seem it doesn't, it's just things evolve (too) slow as usually... I wanted to center efforts on performance, but (as usually as well) on the way I found myself messing around something a little more exciting instead... I hope to be able to offer, sooner rather than later, another beta to can play with though. Cheers!
Lukas

Post by Lukas »

Looks fantastic! Going to give it a spin right away
kenchtahm

Post by kenchtahm »

Just started using it -- this makes liquid shapes make so much more sense, and is also great in general for dealing with a layer that has a bunch of shapes on it even without using the liquid shapes options. Thanks so much for this!
Matt Schneck - Lead Animator, Peacock Kids
My Animation Reel | "It's School" on Peacock Kids
Rai López

Post by Rai López »

Hi. I am/feel actually a little stuck on something related to start providing some kind of basic (basic because at this point the possibilities couldn't be too great anyway :|) Style managing... Not sure at this point what the outcome will be regarding that taking into account how it's affecting other aspects of development, but just wanted to make you know I really appreciate the feedback and kind words :)
mmmaarten

Post by mmmaarten »

Wow, this script is amazing! This was exactly what I was looking for today. Although I still hope things like this make it to native Moho this makes the interface already so much nicer to use. It really solves many issues while working with shapes here now and makes it way more fun. Thanks a lot for all the hard work and thoughts you put into this! Very nice

[edit] Not sure if you're still open to suggestions, but while using it now in the project I'm working on (yes!! finally an easy visible representation of all the shapes in a layer while just scrolling through the layers!! superb!) I figured it would be nice to be able to rename all selected shapes with numbering, as I have projects where one layer consists of tenths of liquid shapes used in animation together to create background animations. So many times than it's just cogwheel 1 to 30 or something, but that's way better to use than 'S2' to 'S2 1 1 3 2 2' etc. But this tells a lot about the usefulness of your plugin already; we get new ideas to improve because we can now SEE what shapes there are without needing to click some dropdown on each layer. So we can now actually take care of the names of our shapes because it matters. It's like we are not blind anymore! So thanks again for curing the blindness! 8)
Adults should play more often
Rai López

Post by Rai López »

Well thank you too, Maarten! Of course I'm open, and more if the suggestion makes all the sense like is the case, and although there is no equivalent to "MakeBoneNameUnique" for shapes, long ago I worked on a renaming function which should do the job, so it'd be a matter of just implementing it here for getting at least the basic expected multi-renaming functionality you say... in fact, I don't know why I didn't implemented something like that already, but better later than never... so thanks for pointing out!

Plus, for some time now I've been really starting to feel like leaving aside, for now at least, all the style management thing (thing that nobody asked for anyway 🙄) in order to continue with development where I left out and that way another beta can see the light at some point, since I made quite changes about I'd love can hear some feedback. Ahhh, if only I could code half as fast as you seem to be able to do :roll:, but by doing that I hope it doesn't take so long at least... Cheers!
mmmaarten

Post by mmmaarten »

Rai López wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:35 am ...
Cool! Thanks a lot for this! BTW Already used your plugin quite some times now on the project I'm working on. Super useful.
Adults should play more often
Rai López

Post by Rai López »

Good to know, thanks! I think as long as one don't activate the experimental "Points Based-Selection" (with which I kind of lose control about UI updates, so not sure till what point could be improved), most things should work smooth enough, at least within what I think could be a reasonable number of per-layer shapes that one normally would have in most use cases... But, of course, don't hesitate to report any aspect you consider opportune regarding performance or whatever.

The multi-renaming is already implemented, BTW. Nothing too fancy for now... just a system that seems to work similarly to how Moho does is natively for other objects, so you can end up with the kind of names you said (S2 1 1 3 2 2), but it's better than nothing and it's WIP anyway (OK, I just found a bug while writing this :lol:).

Well, thanks again and happy coding/weekend!
lucasfranca

Post by lucasfranca »

One thing I would like you to have, is when we hit enter in the rename it would go to the next Shape already open for renaming, this would be very useful and quick to rename all shapes.
An old guy [since 1983] who was raised in front of the TV.
Passionate about animation, after getting old, he decides to make it his hobby.

I share tutorials, reviews, tips and tricks from this vast world of animation on my channel.

https://youtube.com/animai2D
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

+1. Any way of naming the shapes one by one without having to take the mouse would be very welcome. For me the natural instinct was to press enter to confirm the text and then arrow down, but enter doesn't work as you already know and the arrow down key is taken by the currently selected shape tool. My second try would be to press enter and then press tab to go to the next item on the list.
Rai López

Post by Rai López »

🤔 I'll think more about that, Lucas, but I don't believe it'd be possible to get the complete proposed renaming workflow. I mean, it'd be possible to auto-select the next shape in list after renaming, but Name text field should be manually highlighted by clicking on it (ok, or by pressing the Tab key several times), so I think one would finally end up resorting to the mouse anyway... But I'm open to renaming suggestions if they ease the task an it's implementation is possible, of course.

And I think the same more or less applies to Daxel's, due to the already known and the above exposed limitations, plus not being able to make lists react to keys pressings, as far as I know, doesn't make it sound like very feasible, unfortunately. But thanks both for continue adding thoughts about all this, because who knows if at some point it could end up on something... Cheers!
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

I think it should be an extra user action, not the text confirming key itself, to avoid selecting the next shape unintentionally.
Well I guess we can't always get what we want. Let's hope Moho improves the API regarding text fields. Still an amazing tool.
Rai López

Post by Rai López »

Totally, so the only way I can (over) think that may work under the current limitations is placing a hidden/dummy text control just before the Name one, so one could press "Shift+Tab" to confirm current input and then press just the Tab key again in order to, this way, get the next shape in list selected and Name text field highlighted and ready for renaming again. But... it doesn't sound very intuitive or handy, isn't it? Even though whatever that allowed not having to resort to the mouse each time could be welcomed, so I'll continue thinking on it and maybe make some quick test to see, but at this point the idea is to have another beta ready as soon as possible (🤞), so no promises (plus I hope the new multi-renaming feature somehow alleviate the process for now).

Daxel wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:55 am Let's hope Moho improves the API regarding text fields. Still an amazing tool.
Yes, because even the tiniest API improvement is always sooo welcomed :). Thanks!
Rai López

Re: Lost Scripts' Shapes Window (*New* BETA 2) for Moho 14.1 Pro

Post by Rai López »

Hi there, a new BETA is (finally) ready for download at the top of the :arrow: first post. More info there too...

Thanks for any feedback/reports :)
Last edited by Rai López on Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:45 am, edited 2 times in total.