New 3d options tutorial?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Mattyj

New 3d options tutorial?

Post by Mattyj »

Just had a little play with the new 3d options in the layer panel in Moho Pro 14. They look really neat. Is there a tutorial out there covering this feature?
SimplSam

Re: New 3d options tutorial?

Post by SimplSam »

I wasn't aware that there were any. Maybe you need to teach us!!
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

SimplSam wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:16 am I wasn't aware that there were any. Maybe you need to teach us!!
I don't think anything new was added for 14...and it may have been reduced from what we had in the past. It's pretty basic: Extrusion, lathing, simple shading, and cel-shading options.

@Mattyj, I think it's good enough to get some 'retro' 3D effects for titles and graphics, but for modern 3D looks, it's better to use a dedicated 3D program.

A few years ago, when I was working on Boss Baby, I tried Moho's 3D tools to create 3D elements for a character's space suit, like metal collars around the neck and other parts. I thought this might save me time for creating a turnaround rig. In practice, though, I couldn't get it to look as '3D' as what I wound up drawing and shading using the regular vector tools in Moho, so I abandoned this approach.

I've seen some interesting 3D experiments by other Moho users, and I don't want to dismiss it entirely. But I don't think Moho's 3D modeling and shading features are practical for everyday production use. When I need to mix 3D with Moho, I prefer to combine the renders in a compositing program like After Effects, Nuke, or Fusion.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mattyj

Post by Mattyj »

cheers Greenlaw, I guess I hadnt really dived into actually creating 3d objects in 13.5 so thought it was new. Was just wondering also if the physics tab has been fully integrated into bone constraints in 14 as i no longer see a physics tab in my layer panels?
SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

The other 3D option is imported objects. I think there are some issues at the mo with 14.0 stability and OBJ, but if they get this and lighting sorted it would actually be a great bonus for adding components to scenes.

p.s. Physics is definitely still there.You need to enable in a Group, before the Layer options are accessible.

Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Mattyj wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:19 pm Was just wondering also if the physics tab has been fully integrated into bone constraints in 14 as i no longer see a physics tab in my layer panels?
Off the top of my head, there are two types of Physics in Moho (not counting particles): Bone Physics and Groups/VectorLayer Physics.

For bones, the options are in the Bone Constraints panel. In 14, I think new features have been added to Bone Physics. (Just checked and, yes, I think Delay is new. In 13.5 we also got Wind Dynamics for bones)

For other layers, you can enable Physics in a group layer and set Physics properties to each vector layer inside that group. These settings can be found in the Layer Settings tab called Physics.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I'm guessing you don't see the Physics tab for the layer is because Physics hasn't been enabled for the Group yet. Open the Group's layer settings and enable the option under the Physics tab there. Now, you should see the Physics tab in any vector layer inside that group.

When you disable Physics from the Group, the tab will disappear again from the contained layers.

It's not obvious behavior so you probably didn't notice this before. (Lately, I'm discovering a lot of stuff in Moho I've never noticed before.) :)
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Oh, I just remembered: There's one more Physics panel, and maybe this is the one you're thinking of.

If you place a Bone group inside a Group that has Physics enabled, that Bone group gets a special Physics panel. This is the one with Motor and Force Field options for the bones.