Flipped Bones Body and Head Turns

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

TheMinahBird

Flipped Bones Body and Head Turns

Post by TheMinahBird »

Okay so I'm pretty much done with this rig I made: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtLh9vnveOfxhO4KVdW ... A?e=9USdoa , I'm actually really happy with it!

It has a full body turn and everything, blinks, some basic expressions, head turning ect. , it even has some Vitruvian limbs!

Only problem is I did a lot of this by copying actions and just flipping bones in the smart bone dials. :oops:

This was my ideal way of doing it because it makes for really nice symmetry! Do a few tweaks and it makes it look like it's a full rotation.

However, I noticed some issues that came from it and I'm not sure how to fix it:

The head will flip when I flip the body (as opposed to staying in it's position) and so I figured in the body turn action I'd just flip the head back to it's normal state and it'll work as needed . But this didn't work. Just a bunch of counter-flipping happening.

I also figured it wouldn't work anyways due to the head having flipping actions in it as well.

I even tried to do a trick for a full body and head turn that would control both at the same time (not really ideal as you'd wanna control the head independently but this also was broken. In fact doing it that way broke the target bones somehow. 😓 Made it to where the targets acted as a reverse magnet. Weird.)

But I'm curious? Does anyone think this could be saved or have a trick? Or I should've never flipped the bones this way to begin with? 😭
"Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure; men love in haste but they detest at leisure" - Lord Byron
TheMinahBird

Re: Flipped Bones Body and Head Turns

Post by TheMinahBird »

Ok, so after evaluating the possibilities, I think the most ideal outcome would be to make actual right facing heads and bones for the turn, that way I don't have to flip the head bone twice!

Which makes me wonder, is there a script that can edit a bone and it's binded layer at the same time?

In a way where you can duplicate and flip a bone and it's layers on frame zero?
"Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure; men love in haste but they detest at leisure" - Lord Byron
TheMinahBird

Post by TheMinahBird »

There is actually, it's right here:

It isn't working in the best way for me because I use images, but if someone runs into the same issue I am and they use all vectors then you should use this to solve your issue!

Essentially it can duplicate flipped bone and layer actions (without them breaking). So if you have Vitruvian heads like me and just wanna flip/copy a turn without actually animating the flip in a smart action then learn this!

I'm sadly still stuck brainstorming on what I can alternatively do but I'll keep updating this if I find a solution. Moho is a great product but the resources for tutorials and help is kinda scarce and so I like the idea of logging problems and solutions for other people that have trouble finding a super specific problem with such niche software. 😭
TheMinahBird

Post by TheMinahBird »

Ok, after hours of brainstorming I did find one simple solution, and I mean simple, however I can see this not being a perfect solution as you could've very well built the rig asymmetrical or in some type of way where you need the neck facing the proper way.

Anywho! , When doing the body turn if you've animated the head turn with bone flips and are running into trouble like I did, you can easily just flip the neck in the body turn rotation (so the head stays the proper way). This means you will need to have the neck in a way where it's detached from the body though as opposed to having a mesh point binded to the neck (something I've done so I didn't even think to flip the neck).

To make it look sleek or melted into the body again you can always do actions that can correct it! I'd say point bind it (just detached) but I'm pretty sure it's just gonna get all weird once you flip it again heh. 😅 Well that's it!
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

Hey MinahBird! Good to see you! :D What version of Moho did you use for this rig?
cherrytomato

Post by cherrytomato »

Your file can't locate the original psd location, it doesn't preview properly.
TheMinahBird

Post by TheMinahBird »

lwaxana wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 2:32 pm Hey MinahBird! Good to see you! :D What version of Moho did you use for this rig?
Hey! It's been a while wow, good to see you too! I'm using Moho Pro 14! ^^
TheMinahBird

Post by TheMinahBird »

cherrytomato wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:19 pm Your file can't locate the original psd location, it doesn't preview properly.
Gah then my apologies :( I'm not sure how to resolve that. And here I thought I was being helpful. :')