Dividing apendages vs Single Shape appendages

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

tendropchris

Dividing apendages vs Single Shape appendages

Post by tendropchris »

I'm trying to create a dinosaur rig based on the Jurassic Park Raptor. I think I can have the main body and tail as a single shape. The arms I think can work as a single shape. But I'm not sure about the legs. Using the image as a reference, do you think it;d be better to have a thigh shape, a shin shape and a foot shape. Or would it work better to use a single shape ans try to get it to work through smart actions? I do want to have some of the coloring in the rig. Namely the brown body color, Lighter underside, and the stripes. (This isn't for a professional project. Just information to try and get better)
Hoptoad

Re: Dividing apendages vs Single Shape appendages

Post by Hoptoad »

I think the rig can be done in all the ways you mentioned. Ten different people might rig it 10 different ways. There is no wrong answer. However, a lot depends on what actions the dinosaur needs to do.

Me, I might chop the image into pieces in a photo-editing program like GIMP, then use bones to move the pieces.

Other people might use a mesh to warp the image.

Other people might use bone strength.

When you're new to Moho, it's a good idea to try a lot of different ways to rig a character, just in case there's one that best suits your animation style.

Good luck!