Face Planes for Accurate Turns

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

3deeguy

Face Planes for Accurate Turns

Post by 3deeguy »

My problem is I absolutely love experimenting. :) There is so much talent in this forum that I almost feel like I shouldn't post anything. I have to remember that I'm not the only non professional here so there is room for amateur animators.
This is a 'work in process' for an animated vlogging character. I copied the shapes of a 3D model front and side views. Those two views gave me the 'X' and 'Z' values of each point in the face planes.
I learned that using shapes with sharp corners instead of complex curves made it easier to get the result I was after.
There are four vector layers named 'up', 'down', 'left', 'right' and a switch layer for phonemes. I did not use layer order or masking. Unused layers were simply positioned out of the viewable frame.
My next challenge is eyes.
Cheers, Larry
Little Yamori

Re: Face Planes for Accurate Turns

Post by Little Yamori »

Looks cool...it has it's own style/vibe
SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

Cool indeed. I don't think it actually needs eyes (or teeth for that matter!)
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam
3deeguy

Post by 3deeguy »

'SimplSam' and 'Little Yamori', you both are artists whose work I have admired for a long time. Thanks.
My only interest in this character was what I learned from creating it. It has two bones, four vector layers and a switch layer. There's always a challenge but this rig made me think my vision for what I'd like to do is actually within reach. His main job will be to narrate so he won't always be in front of the camera.
I'm gonna get rid of the sharp edges. I want my next character to smile and have a few expressions. I can also imagine him scratching his forehead and stumbling over words.
Cheers, Larry