Scaling Problem caused by using smart bones

Discuss Moho bugs (or suspected bugs) with other users. To report bugs to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Hugging_Bear

Scaling Problem caused by using smart bones

Post by Hugging_Bear »

Hi Guys,
I wish you all a Happy New Year!
I have a bug to report. Please watch this video : https://youtu.be/t7d2wNx1Db0

PS: I forgot to mention. The target bones also don't work when smart bones are involved.
Panha

Re: Scaling Problem caused by using smart bones

Post by Panha »

Hugging_Bear wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:21 pm Hi Guys,
I wish you all a Happy New Year!
I have a bug to report. Please watch this video : https://youtu.be/t7d2wNx1Db0

PS: I forgot to mention. The target bones also don't work when smart bones are involved.
You may have layer scale keyframe in your smartbones. Give your files with the smartbone problem so that I can check. I wonder why your character scale in relative way. You must have a scaling keyframe inside your smart action, just why it is scaled in relative ways. When creating smart action/smart bones, make sure that you only work with bones that you want to record for smart actions.
Hugging_Bear

Post by Hugging_Bear »

Hi Panha,
you can find my project file here https://mega.nz/file/caN0QQpD#mvPNmiDxI ... OQ988XJLjk
I'm new to file sharing. Please contact me if you have problems downloading this file (I made it public).
Panha

Post by Panha »

Hugging_Bear wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:15 pm Hi Panha,
you can find my project file here https://mega.nz/file/caN0QQpD#mvPNmiDxI ... OQ988XJLjk
I'm new to file sharing. Please contact me if you have problems downloading this file (I made it public).
I checked your file, and as I said. There are keyframe of layer scale, rotation, and transform in your action timeline. Moho has two different timelines. One is call "The main timeline" where we can work with our animation in the project. The second one is called "Action timeline" where we can record animation (called "action") for reducing later. When working in action, make sure that you only touch what you want to record the animation for later reduce. In your files, go to each action, and remove the keyframe of layer scale, rotation, and transform, your problem will be solved.
Hugging_Bear

Post by Hugging_Bear »

[/quote]

I checked your file, and as I said. There are keyframe of layer scale, rotation, and transform in your action timeline. Moho has two different timelines. One is call "The main timeline" where we can work with our animation in the project. The second one is called "Action timeline" where we can record animation (called "action") for reducing later. When working in action, make sure that you only touch what you want to record the animation for later reduce. In your files, go to each action, and remove the keyframe of layer scale, rotation, and transform, your problem will be solved.
[/quote]
Hi Panha,
Thanks for checking my project file. Do you mean, I used the LAYER TOOL to scale or rotate/move something in the action timeline? I don't remember doing such a thing. I thought I only moved a couple vector points. I'll check those action timeline layers, just to understand what caused the program in such a weird way.
Panha

Post by Panha »

Hugging_Bear wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:26 pm
[/quote]
Hi Panha,
Thanks for checking my project file. Do you mean, I used the LAYER TOOL to scale or rotate/move something in the action timeline? I don't remember doing such a thing. I thought I only moved a couple vector points. I'll check those action timeline layers, just to understand what caused the program in such a weird way.
[/quote]

Yes, check your action timeline. You have layer transformation, rotation, and scale keyframes. Remove them, and it will be okay.
Hugging_Bear

Post by Hugging_Bear »

I started animating each action/smart bone by adding a keyframe (Animation Tab->Add Keyframe) in order to create a baseline/starting point for the animation. This must automatically created those pesky layer keyframes.
Panha

Post by Panha »

Hugging_Bear wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:44 pm I started animating each action/smart bone by adding a keyframe (Animation Tab->Add Keyframe) in order to create a baseline/starting point for the animation. This must automatically created those pesky layer keyframes.
Yes. In Moho, you don't need to go to (Animation Tab->Add Keyframe) to add keyframes. On the other hand, I used to try it but it seems that I don't get the exact keyframes I wanted. We only need to move to other frames different from frame 0, and whatever we do, Moho will automatically adds keyframes for us with exact bones, or whatever we are working with. That's cool. Just make sure that in Action Timeline, you only touch only whatever you want to record because action keyframes will add those keyframes back in the main timeline when we reduce it, so just make sure that you don't have unnecessary keyframes while you are working in Action Timeline.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Hugging_Bear wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:44 pm I started animating each action/smart bone by adding a keyframe (Animation Tab->Add Keyframe)
Oh, I never use that. That will keyframe everything, which can include unintended keys if you use it carelessly. It's basically the same as using Auto-key, which can generate a huge mess of keyframes. There are situations where using these commands is appropriate, but that's probably rare for most users.

To create only intended keyframes, I click directly on the item, and Moho creates the key for only that item. For example, if I click in the middle of a bone, I get a rotation key for that bone. If I click on the base, I get a move keyframe, etc. Or, I will double-click the keyframe on the timeline for the channel where I want a key, and Moho will create a key there. (This latter method might only work if a keyframe already exists for the channel.) Or, I'll just copy the keys in the global channel to the new keyframe. These methods keyframe items without animation, which can be useful when I want to hold the pose/state for that particular channel.

Of course, if I'm keyframing a new pose (i.e., animation), I will move/rotate/scale the bone, and Moho automatically creates a key for only the affected channels of the affected items. No need for a separate command, just make the transforms you want in the workspace, and Moho will take care of keyframing it.

Any of these methods ensure I get keyframes only for intended items and channels, and nothing else.

The only other keyframing method I use is Freeze Pose (Ctrl-F) which is a quick-and-dirty way to keyframe the entire rig. (This normally means only the selected Bones layer.) I use this only for keyposes to make sure I have a hold for the entire rig. I don't use this command carelessly because it can generate excessive keyframes that may eventually affect performance.

Hope this helps.