3d models textures.

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

eric1223

3d models textures.

Post by eric1223 »

Alright. for some reason, my 3d models look terrible when importing them into Moho. It appears VERY pixilated even though it's not pixilated in other programs. I Put the textures in 16k, thinking it would help, but it did not. The textures are PNG files. I even tried bmp, and .tga formats, I get the same results

I really don't know what's going on here, but it seems Moho has a cap for texture resolution for 3d objects. If this isn't the case, what am I doing wrong?
Bax Burgess

Re: 3d models textures.

Post by Bax Burgess »

Another apps' preferences producing lower resolution, duplicate copies of the images, for speed purposes?
Lae82

Post by Lae82 »

Are they transparent png's with alpha channel (rgba) ? I think I had problems with those but regular rgb jpg/png worked fine. This is only when using imported 3d object with texture. Some times moho doesnt update the texture so try renaming object and mtl file and re-import or restart moho and re-import.

Anything with transparency should be imported as regular images. There are big limitations with moho and 3d import support. But I've managed to build textured houses and doors in blender and imported to moho. There also seem to be a limit how many faces an imported 3d object can have. Always use quads for meshes and never tris.
eric1223

Post by eric1223 »

Bax Burgess wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:43 pm Another apps' preferences producing lower resolution, duplicate copies of the images, for speed purposes?

This is what is seems like what is happening. Moho is the only app that I have that lowers the resolution of the texture that I import. But If I just import the texture (and not the 3d Object), it looks as it should.
Lae82 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:29 pm Are they transparent png's with alpha channel (rgba) ? I think I had problems with those but regular rgb jpg/png worked fine. This is only when using imported 3d object with texture. Some times moho doesnt update the texture so try renaming object and mtl file and re-import or restart moho and re-import.

Anything with transparency should be imported as regular images. There are big limitations with moho and 3d import support. But I've managed to build textured houses and doors in blender and imported to moho. There also seem to be a limit how many faces an imported 3d object can have. Always use quads for meshes and never tris.
Nah, it should not have any transparency. I merged all of the layers into one, assuming it would be easier MOHO to read. Also they are RGB. I just tried rerendering the projects to .jpg, and renaming, it but I'm still getting the same result. Quads are being used.
You know, some things I didn't mention is that this is a big object with flipped normals. I made it so it could be inside of the camera, and the camera would spin in the center of the room with words written on signs. I figure I'd make it as big as possible so I won't loose any detail if I have to make it bigger, but It's already unreadable before even having to resize it.

Do you know the recommended texture resolution?
Lae82

Post by Lae82 »

I did a test room you can download here. But as mentioned texture resolution is limited in Moho for 3d objects if you are using 1 texture. See my fix in next post below.

Moho 3D Room
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1S-j5x5 ... sp=sharing

It would be nice if Moho will support higher resolution textures for imported 3D in the future.

I think as for now that simple colored or blurry backgrounds are best for this technique. If you want details on the walls import them as transparent images and place them close to the walls.

or..

Build the walls from imported images as planes inside of moho by rotating the 4-6 image layers in mohos 3d space.
Lae82

Post by Lae82 »

Solution:
Instead of using 1 large image texture use several textures. 1 texture for every room wall (2048x2048 or less) this works in Moho. I attach the entire project with Blender and Moho files.

Here is a room I made and the resolution looks much better now so it's definetly possible to get good texture quality if you use several materials for one object with different textures linked to them.

Moho 3D room texture fix:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eFXOQh ... sp=sharing
Lae82

Post by Lae82 »

eric1223 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:51 am Alright. for some reason, my 3d models look terrible when importing them into Moho. It appears VERY pixilated even though it's not pixilated in other programs. I Put the textures in 16k, thinking it would help, but it did not. The textures are PNG files. I even tried bmp, and .tga formats, I get the same results

I really don't know what's going on here, but it seems Moho has a cap for texture resolution for 3d objects. If this isn't the case, what am I doing wrong?
The fix is to use several materials and textures on a 3d object in the 3d software. Link different materials with textures to the mesh surfaces. Mohos limit for 1 texture seems to be around 1-2k in px.

-

-
eric1223

Post by eric1223 »

Lae82 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:15 pm Solution:
Instead of using 1 large image texture use several textures. 1 texture for every room wall (2048x2048 or less) this works in Moho. I attach the entire project with Blender and Moho files.

Here is a room I made and the resolution looks much better now so it's definetly possible to get good texture quality if you use several materials for one object with different textures linked to them.

Moho 3D room texture fix:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eFXOQh ... sp=sharing
I think I will use this resolution when importing into moho. I do still have a backup of before I merged all together, so I'll give this a try after I get back from work.
Buut...the details of my room are so small on my texture (according to moho) that it still can't be read. I will have to recreate this scene in moho with a 3D imported floor. I forgot to mention this too, that the room is a half-circle (hemisphere). I'll just have to make the doors and signs In Moho.

Thanks for the help Lea82! It helped alot.