Slow when using complex character

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

shakabet

Slow when using complex character

Post by shakabet »

The problem is that when I add complex characters, the preview becomes slow and I can't tell if the movement is smooth or not. This issue is discouraging me from learning the program. I can't do without the layers within the characters as I need them
Lae82

Re: Slow when using complex character

Post by Lae82 »

I know how it feels. Moho works best with a balanced amount of control points per line aswell as with not using too high resolution on images used in viewport preview. Any images used as only texture effect/overlay/shadow can be disabled in viewport and enabled when doing render. To make moho work for complex character you have to work smart with images and remove unnecessary controlpoints. Also try disable layer mask preview in viewport. Best is to cut up everything in photoshop first and use masking sparsly in moho. Some use low res jpg/png cut out preview images for playback only and high res jpg/png for output. By using show/hide in layer settings you can hide high res images during playback and make them visible during render. The same works for the low res images but the other way around.

For traditional 2D animation preview in heavy scene:
Previewing strokes only (no fills or images) and disabling mask preview works if your character has lineart like traditional 2d animation. You get a good idea how the animation looks in real time by just watching the outlines.

For cutout I would use 144 dpi (double of 72dpi) for images. Or you could try 96 x 2 = 192 dpi. Avoid 300dpi even for backgrounds. Use only if you are going to zoom in x3 times on an image covering the camera view.

This link could also be interesting for swapping hi/lo res images in Moho:
viewtopic.php?t=30456&sid=b7fed906fa259 ... 7a50d0daff

Remember that one scene should be 4-8 seconds in animation length. Use many different moho projects for your scenes.