Bill Plytmpton's Dog Book

Whatever...

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

dueyftw

Bill Plytmpton's Dog Book

Post by dueyftw »

Hey, Everyone I got sucked down a rabbit hole and after a year of work I came up with this book.

I'm still doing some animation, but this is taking a ton of my time.

Dale
DK

Re: Bill Plytmpton's Dog Book

Post by DK »

Hey Dale, Just wondering what you use the 3D printer for and what you use the braille engraver for?
Are the pages 3D printed? What is the process?
Cheers
D.K
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

Hi,
I'm using four Ender 3 max neo's.
The printer is a Brother laser printer.
The embosser is a Irie Braile Sheet 120.

The artwork is traced with Moho. Brought into Inscape to get it to size and add the Coordinate array system.
Coordinate array system is like a map. Around the edges of the 3D prints are Braille letters to let a blind person what their hand is feeling.
Like where the eyes are, hand, feet or hair. If they are not told they have not clue what or where everything is with the embossed image.
From Inscape the image is brought to the slicer as a Png file. Slicers don't do vector. The 3d printers uses about 5 layers. That gives it a thin sheet.
And I have all the tools to make spiral binding books. A Punch and feed roller. A paper cutter that can handle up to a stack of paper 4 inch thick. I stay with one ream at a time.
I have 3 braille embossers. A Braille Buddy, the Irie Braile Sheet 120 and an old one that works but got damage in shipping. They are kind of expensive.
I'm always looking for ways to cut down the time it take to make one book.
I have six 3d printers. All enders neo's except the last one I got a few days ago. It's a Ender print mill.

I have gone from several different way of make this book, involving rubber then a laser and a vacuum former. They did work.

Dale
DK

Post by DK »

That's really interesting Dale. I do a LOT of 3D printing and designing myself but this technique I have never heard of. Thanks for sharing.
Cheers
D.K
SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

Have you considered GoFundMe (and similar) ..?
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

SimplSam wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:46 am Have you considered GoFundMe (and similar) ..?
No, when my mom passed away she left me a little over 50K for taking care of her at the end of her life for 4 years. It was supposed to be split three ways, but Mom gave the annuity all to me. I have two sisters and a nice one got 18 and the other one got zip. It really pays to be nice to people, especially me.
That and my retirement income plus I live very frugally, I don't need financial help with this project.
But in the future because the books will be sold on consignment I might look forward to doing such a thing.
Dale
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

DK wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:05 am That's really interesting Dale. I do a LOT of 3D printing and designing myself but this technique I have never heard of. Thanks for sharing.
Cheers.
D.K
Cura slicer allows you to import PNG files. I used the creality slicer but it's almost the same as cura.
The import settings from top to bottom go like this.
Change to 2.5 to.5
Keep.4
Change the XY size in the slicer.
Use darker is higher.
And make sure you have no smoothing.
I use Inkscape for the import and set the dimensions in inkscape. Other programs give you alphas at may not import properly to the creality slicer.

Hope that gives you an idea how it's done.
Dale