Paint bucket in tutorial

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Nicohk92

Paint bucket in tutorial

Post by Nicohk92 »

Hey guys, so I'm back to Moho after many many years and with an actual work project (so I guess you'll here from me more in coming weeks).

I purchased the new version and told myself I might as well do the quick start part of the tutorial, as a refresher, and just on the second section I'm scratching my head:

https://tutorial.lostmarble.com/app/pag ... O0OGTFEhsr

"Changing the Color of Your Shape"

Correct me if I'm wrong, but contrary to what's written here, the paint bucket not only changes the color, it creates an entirely new shape on top of the old one. At least that's what it does and has ever done on my end.
Greenlaw

Re: Paint bucket in tutorial

Post by Greenlaw »

The proper way to change the color of a shape is to select it with the Select Shape tool and change the shape's color in the Style window. Like this...

This doesn't mean the Paint Bucket tool can't be used to change color, but it's not a reliable method because, as you noted, it can generate a new shape. I personally do not recommend using Paint Bucket to change a Style color. Use the Style window to change a Style color.

The Paint Bucket tool is meant to be used to create a new shape within an enclosed curve region, even when the region is made of unconnected curves. This makes it ideal for filling in a Frame By Frame layer or any drawing that's primarily created using the Freehand tool, but Paint Bucket works with any region where the curves are not actually closed. For example...

For curves that are actually closed, you should create the shapes using the Create Shape tool or with Auto-Fill/Stroke enabled. This method creates shapes using the existing points in closed curves. Paint Bucket, on the other hand, generates shapes based on auto-tracing what it sees in the display, so the shapes it creates are not particularly optimal.

(Note: I'm using 13.5 for these examples, but it's the same for 14.)

Hope this helps.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nicohk92

Post by Nicohk92 »

Hey Greenlaw,

I was never a big user of the paint tool and have always used the shape select tool for changing style as well. I was merely pointing out the error in the Moho tutorial, cause if you follow it you end up creating a new shape on to of your circle.

One thing I didn't know is that it fills unclosed curves. Thanks for the tip!
Belgarath

Post by Belgarath »

The creation of a new shape is a new (and intentional) addition in version 14. I'll write up a report requesting that tutorial to get updated.