Merge layers?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Nicohk92

Merge layers?

Post by Nicohk92 »

So there is now a button to merge shapes. But is there a way to merge layers? Putting all shapes in one single layer.
Perhaps a script that does it?

For example I just imported an svg with tons of different layers for something that could really be in just one, and wish I could avoid selectall/copy/pasting dozens of time.
hayasidist

Re: Merge layers?

Post by hayasidist »

did you use the 14.0 svg import? that has an option to merge layers...
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Here's one: Merge Vector Layers

Note that this tool doesn't account for layer transformations, but It's good practice not to transform artwork layers in the setup frame 0; better to transform the points directly instead. If you have transformed any layers at frame 0 differently from other layers in your selection, you'll want to first use Reset Layer Origin, which resets the transform and applies it directly to the vertices.

Or do what Hayasidist suggested with the SVG import command. (Cool tip, Paul! I'm going to try it now.) :D
Last edited by Greenlaw on Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:34 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

BTW, if you ever need to do the opposite and break apart a vector drawing into multiple layers, use the RT Break Apart Shapes command under Scripts > Layer Effects. I had to use this command for the very first time last week, and it did the job perfectly! (Tip: You need to select the points of all the shapes before running it.)

Note: this tool has a Put All Shapes Into One Layer option, but I never got that part to work for me. I just assumed it was broken because it's a very old script, but now I'm wondering if I just used it incorrectly. Does anybody know if this part still works?
Nicohk92

Post by Nicohk92 »

Thnak you so much! I'll try that script. It's true that I could have used the import svg option in that particular case.