Layer effects in Action

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Borchc

Layer effects in Action

Post by Borchc »

Good afternoon colleagues, can you tell me if there is any way to bake layer effects from the shadow tab in the action?
The keys break through and work out inside the action, but not when exiting the action. Do you have any ideas, or maybe it is planned as a revision in future versions?
It just caused a slight misunderstanding with the fact that in the General tab, the parameters are animated using an action, but not in the shadows.
Borchc

Re: Layer effects in Action

Post by Borchc »

I'm asking because Harmony has the ability to do dynamic lighting and shadow management, which seems to me much more intuitive (albeit through nodes).
And if you try to edit postprocessing in Moho, you need to climb into each layer, so it's interesting that you plan to do something in this direction or do you have some secret knowledge to work with effects
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Moho's lighting effects are basically offset alphas processed to simulate light and shadow. It looks pretty good if you don't need complex interior shading, but it's limited.

You can animate the effects using a Smart Bone at the Styles level, but this setup can get complicated.

You should be able to do the same at the layer level. Is the Shading part not working for you in a Smart Bone? I'll test it here later today if I have time.

FWIW, I prefer to render out mattes for any interior shading using Layer Comps with Moho Exporter, and then using a composting program like After Effects to manipulate the matte layers and character alpha for shading and lighting effects. I have much more control this way for editing and animating the effect. The Kung Fu Panda footage on my 2020 demo reel is a good example (i.e., interior shadows for the body and highlight for arms in front of the body.)
Borchc

Post by Borchc »

Greenlaw wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 2:15 pm

You should be able to do the same at the layer level. Is the Shading part not working for you in a Smart Bone? I'll test it here later today if I have time.
Yes, thanks, I couldn't get it in smartbones.