Stroke width not same at render

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Nicohk92

Stroke width not same at render

Post by Nicohk92 »

I mentioned that in passing in an other thread but this getting very problematic to me.

Strokes appear thicker in the workspace than they do on render.

Check out the veins in the workspace here:

And here is the exact same thing rendered:

Scale compensation is off, and so is GPU caching. Any ideas?
Nicohk92

Re: Stroke width not same at render

Post by Nicohk92 »

Here is the file if you care to reproduce:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=18OmzR ... p=drive_fs
Hoptoad

Post by Hoptoad »

The group layer, you scaled it. I think that's why the .7 stroke appears thicker in the workspace.

Maybe un-scale the group layer and adjust the stroke widths?

Maybe there's an easier way.

There's an awesome script called Adjust Line Width that I often use to change line widths.

But it is weird that what you see in the workspace is NOT what you get.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Hi Nicohk92,

I'm not sure why this happens on your end, but here are the results I see with your file:

On the left is what I see on my display, and on the right is the Ctrl-R render. The two images look very similar on my computer. I'm using Moho 14.1 on a Surface Laptop Studio with Nvidia RTX GPU. I can check this with my desktop later today, but it's probably going to look the same since it has an Nvidia RTX GPU as well.

Some suggestions:

- Make sure the graphics drivers are up-to-date.
- Assuming you're on Windows, check your Windows Scaling. If it's set to an in-between value, like 150%, does it look better when it's changed to 100% or 200%? If so, you might need to make a change in the program's Compatibility Properties. I can provide further info if this is the case. (Update: Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, this should not affect the visual quality of Moho's working area display, only the UI layout. So, never mind.)

Will let you know if I think of anything else.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Sun May 05, 2024 7:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Hoptoad

Post by Hoptoad »

Weird, the problem went away. I'm now seeing what Greenlaw is seeing. That is, the render matches the workspace.

The only thing I did was click the "Restore Defaults" button in the Preview window.

Maybe your Preview is out-of-whack?
Nicohk92

Post by Nicohk92 »

Thanks for checking guys.
I tested and it's not a question of layer size (beside, it shouldn't be)

Greenlaw's render displays correctly, so it must be my machine then. I'm on a M1 Macbook Pro.

Damnit. I guess I need to bring this up to the devs somehow?
Nicohk92

Post by Nicohk92 »

Hoptoad wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 6:16 pm There's an awesome script called Adjust Line Width that I often use to change line widths.
I didn't find it in mohoscripts.com. You know where it is?
Hoptoad

Post by Hoptoad »

Nicohk92 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 7:12 pm I didn't find it in mohoscripts.com. You know where it is?
I don't remember, and I can't find it by search engine.

The lua code doesn't say, but here's a possible clue:

"ScriptName = "SZ_AdjustLineWidth"
Nicohk92

Post by Nicohk92 »

Not part of my scripts.

Anyway, I just opened a ticket. Let's see how reactive they are.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

You might want to check the render settings. What immediately stood out to me was the poor antialiasing quality in the rendered version of your post.

The settings to check:

- Enable Antialiased Edges. (I guess this one is obvious)
- Enable Extra Smooth Images. This tells Moho to render the project internally at 200%, apply anti-aliasing, and then scale it back to 100% for the final image. The result is much higher quality AA. The downside is that this option can increase the render time by as much as 4x. IMO, it's totally worth it though, and Moho renders pretty quickly, anyway. (At least compared to 3D animation, which I also do a lot of.)
Nicohk92

Post by Nicohk92 »

Wait, render settings?

I don't see any of the options you mention in the preferences or project settings.

A settings panel I don't know about?? Where is it?
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Sorry, I meant for final-quality renders. I don't think there are any user settings for Render Preview (Ctrl-R). I believe this command defaults to whatever is built-in.

The user-defined render settings I'm talking about are found in Export Animation and Moho Exporter. You can make presets there for different types of projects.

Of the two, I prefer Moho Exporter because it can also break out render passes using Layer Comps settings, and you can save render output settings for reuse later. I find that saving a Render Settings file is more reliable than selecting from the Render Settings Window's Export To list, which is easily subject to user error or simply disappearing after some time.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Wed May 01, 2024 9:15 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Nicohk92

Post by Nicohk92 »

Oh right. Not ready to export anything at the moment.
I just wish workspace and cmd+R renders matched.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

FWIW, the matched display and render example I posted above used Ctrl-R. So, maybe this is a Mac-specific issue as you suggested?

Sorry, I don't have a Mac right now and can't check that here, but hopefully, another Mac user or the Moho devs can test the file and post feedback soon.
Hoptoad

Post by Hoptoad »

This strange "glitch" reminds me of something that happened to one of my files. My glitch happened when I took a layer out of a masking group before deactivating the mask. So, even though the vector layer was no longer in a masking group, the vector layer remembered masking data, and the masking data caused a glitch. This glitch was hard to track down.

I think such glitches may happen when vector art is flipped, scaled, masked, moved, and so forth, but in an unusual way. Once in a while, it seems like the art remembers something that should have been forgotten.

Nowadays, whenever I see any sort of glitch, which is rare, I general re-make the vector art.