How do I repair my Target Bones? (..and more)

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

martin_mrt

How do I repair my Target Bones? (..and more)

Post by martin_mrt »

Hey there,

Main issue:
1) I just spent a considerable ammount of time trying to fix my targetbones. I also saw a post here in the forum hinting on the connection between smartbones and Targets. I was working on feet turnarounds when I noticed it but then went back some versions and found out that it is not working ever since I started with the first smartbone/turnarounds. Dont know what it is, i used as few keys as possible. Any help here is much appreciated as im new to moho and dont really have someone to ask.
here is the file: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/1n4m9d6g ... xybqy&dl=0

Side issue:
2) Foot turnarounds: I tried to make a setup in which two bones for ball-rotation of the foot would be combined with a 180° turn. Tried various approaches with a lot of reshaping, some binding issues etc. but had no real success.
Is there a good way to rotate the feet while being able to toe roll with two bones?
martin_mrt

Re: How do I repair my Target Bones? (..and more)

Post by martin_mrt »

UPDATE:

1) The Targets had keys in the smartbone actions... Doing the turnarounds I selected certain bones pressing the freeze option, not realizing that a key is made on the entire rig. (how is it possible just to tie down/freeze one bone or selection?)
However the current functionality is not the right one. Upper leg is not moving anymore and Target seems to be mirrored. I would like to avoid doing it again. The only keys I Have there now is a translation and rotation key for the upper legs in the turn. I might try to work with a rootbone at the "hip socket". lets see.

2) I tried the foot turnaround again with another binding technique. Realized that it might be easier when the foot comes out. didnt really have any success with it. the combination of binding, bone movement and smartaction is a tough nut to crack. Im rolling around ideas for toe_foot and heel_foot as two different layers. tested a bit but still no real working solution.
Still happy for any advice, hint or technique. I have the feeling that the right approoach for toe roll in turnaround charachters must already be out there
Hoptoad

Post by Hoptoad »

martin_mrt wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 6:35 pm (how is it possible just to tie down/freeze one bone or selection?)
When I use the "Auto-freeze Keys" button, I usually have to delete keys for a bone later.

Select the bone (or bones), then look to the left of the timeline. You'll see the Selected Bone channels for rotation, translation and scale. Delete all the keyframes in the red channels you don't want.

You can use Lock Bone to make a bone stay in place. Or, more accurately, it tries to stay in place. If another bones puts too much pressure on it, it'll move.

If you select a bone, you can look in the bone's Bone Constraints window. Making a bone's Angle Constraints =0, and checking the box for Independent Angle can help a bone hold still.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I almost never use Auto Freeze. This option keyframes EVERYTHING, and it can really mess you up, ESPECIALLY when editing an action. I keep this option disabled by default and enable it only when I'm sure I need it. Then, I switch it off as soon as I'm done.

What I prefer to do is keyframe only the animated bones or only the selected bones.

By default, Moho will automatically keyframe any channel that's animated, of course, but when I need to set a keyframe without animation, I just click directly on the bone. Where I click on the bone will set a keyframe for the corresponding channel (Pos, Rot, or Size.)

When I want to keyframe all the channels of a selected bone or multiple bones, I use the Freeze Selected Bones command. By default, there is no shortcut for this, and you'll want to add one.

FWIW, I have a button for this command in my MQC button panel, which is easier to access and I don't have to remember the shortcut. (It's the Freeze Sel button, which works for both Bones and Points.)

This version was made for Moho 13.5 but it works with 14.1. I'll release a new version specifically for 14.1 when I have time.

If you can't use MQC but have a Wacom tablet, you can set this command to an on-screen button using Wacom's OSC software. (It's what I used before I made MQC.)

Hope this helps.
martin_mrt

Post by martin_mrt »

Thanks So much for your help and contributions @Hoptoad & @Greenlaw !
Through your help I understood my error better. Coming from AE I expected the freeze tool to work only on the selection. It in fact does the opposite. I used teh freeze visible points button while having one bone selected, then I deleted the channels unused on the selection not understanding that all the other bones were keyed too. I would wish for a "Key Selected" button just like in @Greenlaw's MQC tool. Thanks for sharing that! I downloaded it and while installing I found that assigning a shortcut directly for freezing selected points and bones is the best solution for the case at hand.

Thanks for your help guys!!
Im gonna try to fix those targets now :D