Replicate without overlap

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Nicohk92

Replicate without overlap

Post by Nicohk92 »

I'm trying to get a shape replicated at controllable intervals, or at least with enough control so that they are somewhat evenly spread around without superimposing onto each other.

What would be fantastic would be a tool that can distribute instances of a shape on each points of another shape (there's a geometry node like that in Blender, or a similar effect in Apple Motion called Replicator).

I tried doing it with those green crosses using a particle layer, but no matter the settings, they keep overlapping. If at least I could have them not being on top of each other. Maybe with a brush?

I can't believe I may have to resort to another software to achieve something that simple.

hayasidist

Re: Replicate without overlap

Post by hayasidist »

two ways I can readily think of:

scatter brush -- draw your cross (any size); select the shape and copy; then set the scatter brush _options_ to be all zeros except Spacing which you set to greater than 1: about 1.5 to 2 worked well for the quick test I ran. Set the max and min sizes to be the size you want (e.g. 75 px); then drag the mouse around -- yes, ok, you need to avoid running into a previous shape you've created.

custom brush: set the spacing to be more than 100%, draw lines -- you may need to tweak some point placements because the brush stamps might overlap when you get to a control point.

hope that helps
Nicohk92

Post by Nicohk92 »

I didn't think about scatter brush.

I still think I'll use an outside motion design software for more control here.

A scatter to points tool would be a really good addition to MOHO in my opinion.
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

Nicohk92 wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 12:13 pm A scatter to points tool would be a really good addition to MOHO in my opinion.
e.g. replicate a (copied) shape on each of the selected points?
Nicohk92

Post by Nicohk92 »

Yeah, a copied or designated shape (or layer) to all selected points

Post by 570295535 »

Are you looking for this script? After all, it's been a long time, but it can still work on moho14.1:
https://mohoscripts.com/script/sz_layer_copies