Transformation with switch layers

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Rasheed

Transformation with switch layers

Post by Rasheed »

When you watch the animation, you could say: "Well, that's done using a single switch layer, using interpolation!" And you'd be wrong. This is done using three switch layers.

I drew a box and a panel in separate vector layers, with different numbers of points. Next, I created a copy of each vector layer, rearranged the pixels for each copy into a kind of in-between form, and made sure both vector layers looked alike.

So I had four vector layers:
  • layer A
  • modified layer A
  • layer B
  • modified layer B
The trick was to make modified layer A resemble modified layer B as closely as possible.

Next, I created the following layers setup, with switch interpolation turned on:

+- Switch A/B
+---- Switch A / mod A
+------- layer A
+------- layer mod A
+---- Switch B / mod B
+------- layer B
+------- layer mod B

Now it is possible to transform one shape into another, even a possible triangle into an impossible one:

slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Technically speaking, you were creating a breakdown between the two keys, to be able to control the transformation a bit more.
Genete

Post by Genete »

The thecnic you show here is needed to be used because interpolation in switch layers is lineal. So if you want to make a non linear movement (non straight line) between points you need to have more than one switch layer. Even if the morph movement of the points is arround a curve you have to introduce as many point as needed to follow the desired curve.

It is clear. Thanks anyway for your tip. Would help many people.

Also the thecnic of more than one switch layer must be used when some shape changes the depth in relation to others (in same layer), as you shown with secon example.

Thanks for share.
Regards
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Even with this you still might need more... interpolation control (smooth, ease in, ease out, etc).

You could do the same trick using "stand alone" layers or copying out the point motion from the switch layers to "non-switch" layers.

You could then add even more key frames between those keys for even more control.
---------------

This is a cool tip...

I think I may have actually done this before and didn't realize it was a "cool tip".

;)

-vern
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

heyvern wrote:This is a cool tip...

I think I may have actually done this before and didn't realize it was a "cool tip".
That's why I wrote it down. It seems so obvious to experienced users, but to relative new users the creative use of Moho tools beyond the tutorials might come as a surprise. You can do a lot more with AS than what's described in the tutorial, and that's why it's a pity that there still isn't a good reference book about Moho/Anime Studio 5, that delves into this goldmine of possible methods of using the software.
artfx

Post by artfx »

A detailed training DVD would be even better.
----
Terrence Walker
Studio ArtFX
LEARN HOW TO Make YOur Own Animated Film!
Get Video Training to Show You How!
Gnaws

Post by Gnaws »

Hey Rasheed - would you mind posting that .anme file? Thanks!
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

Gnaws

Post by Gnaws »

...to relative new users the creative use of Moho tools beyond the tutorials might come as a surprise. You can do a lot more with AS than what's described in the tutorial...
Amen to that, Brother. As one of the relatively new users, I can attest to that. The explanation of a technique like this is sorely missing in the documentation.

Thanks again, Rasheed. I give you 5 stars for explaining this!!
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

I'm currently developing an animation for the animation contest on Animationforum (my entry thread), called Dance Off. This means the hands and shoes should be able to be viewed in all kinds of orientations. A good way to make the transitions between these views more fluid is to use this technique. You can safely draw your key poses and still be able to do smooth inbetweens.