Renaming a layer in a switch bug

Discuss Moho bugs (or suspected bugs) with other users. To report bugs to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

heyvern

Post by heyvern »

you would, for instance, need to verify bone names on other people's computers to check if that bone name is already taken.

Ah yes! You are speaking of a team work flow.

A naming convention should be developed in that situation (or any situation) that will dictate the naming of bones and layers. Similar to how you name scenes for a large production.

Also this wouldn't be an issue if the names are changed on import. The name of the document or a user defined "code" could be added.

I actually already do this on my own. I don't use the same name for layers when ever I can remember (I forget which is why it would be nice if it was automated). I often go through a document and rename layers at the end so they are uniquely identified.

I can't STAND having 10 layers or bones with the exact same name. It drives me crazy.

Even if two characters are in separate group layers in one document it is very nice to see that I have "Roxellas left leg" layer selected instead of "hughs left leg". Scrolling through a layer list get confusing. I have often lost where I was and had to scroll up or down in the layer palette to make sure I have the right layer selected.

Unamed bones are not an issue since if they are unamed the user can only select them by clicking on them anyway. You can't select an unamed bone from the bone list. The name of a bone is FOR THE USER ONLY... not the application. The application still uses unique internal IDs for named and unamed bones.

All of these suggestions for me anyway, only address how bones and layers are named. It wouldn't really change how the application works "behind the scenes" except for whatever changes needed to prevent same named layers.

Naming of objects is a user based convention. It is only for aiding the user in identifying layers or bones that the program already handles using IDs the user never sees.

-vern