Ask for Numerical Box for Width Tool

Moho allows users to write new tools and plugins. Discuss scripting ideas and problems here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Rai López

Ask for Numerical Box for Width Tool

Post by Rai López »

Could have a numerical box in Line Width Tool like now (and THANKS to 7feet) there is in Curvature Tool? Could be too that with this you could make more width lines than with the actual Width Tool? How occurs with the new Curvature Tool (with one you can do Curves out of the limit of the old tool), I think that this It'll be usefull in some occasions for masking, or for simple reference for copy values between points, or for when you have a HUGE object and need more width line to it that the actual tool let you put, in example... (I think that this could be possible cause I've seen how you can do more width lines modificating the value directly in *.moho file with Notepad) ...Finally, I've tried to do it seeing the Curvature Tool modified by 7feet but nothing al last :( ...Well, THANKS if cheers somebody up and BYE!
7feet

Post by 7feet »

The whole reason I could do that with the curvature tool is that it was an arbitrary limit set in the script. A text box for the line width tool? Not too hard, but if you try it yourself you really need to study a few of the of the other scripts to see how the Lua user interface elements work. Its pretty picky. The last thing I was doing was to try to make repeat Translate and Rotate buttons (in a separate popup menu, there wasn't any room left on the top line) for my Universal Layer tool, but I tried to include the "reset" button in the same menu, and its horribly broken. Just haven't had a chance to fix it, even though it annoys the hell out of me. I certainly spend more time trying to make scripts talk nice to the users than I do on actually making them work. I didn't think that trying to put a Reset button in a different place in the script would be such a pain in the bum, but it actually made me jump around and yell furiously at my computer a few times. The compuiter doesn't care, but it made me feel better.

So I'll digress for a second. Mike, PLEASE, for the love of (insert something you think is fairly important) give me (and the rest of us poor chumps) even a half-assed description of the API. Please. I'm begging now. I'm currently working 7 days, 80-90 hour work weeks, and I just don't have time to puzzle this shite out. I've used the program more to make proper moving descriptions of animatronic rigs (heres one for an eye mechanism - http://www.sharemation.com/sevenfeetdes ... emech1.swf)
and the internal workings of orthopedic devices (sorry that one is seeking a patent) for bids, and though it ain't Disney it does help keep bread on the table. The ability to whip this stuff up (even if I'm happy to share I make 'em for me) with out having to study other things for hours would be a godsend. I just don't have the time. Sorry, end of rant.

Back to the subject at hand. First, unless the new update has adressed the issue, It doesn't seem, for one that masking pays any attention at all to line width. Feel free to tell me I'm wrong. Also, think that the limits on line width are imposed by the program, and not an isuue of the scripting interface. I will look at it, but no guarantees--

Okay, maybe I'm wrong. I'll leave it to you to experiment, but look for this line in the script-

local maxWidth = moho:PixelToDoc(64)

You might be able to change this value (64 here). Might make Moho choke, might not. Don't know. If I had the time I'd write my owm bloody description of the interface, but barring that, If you want to make some effort I'll try to walk you through it. Since I'm told that next week I may be hacking the company website into shape instead of beating on the great mucking bronze monument I've been working on, maybe I'll have a minute on the side to whip some code together.

Sorry for the rambling, I'm tired as always.

--Brian
Rai López

Post by Rai López »

...Very well, I can't understand somethings that you tolk abobe (for my "English"), but THANK YOU (very much) for the CLUE 7feet, I don't know how I can't see this script line when I "studied" the script, emm... definetively it's not my speciality :-( ...I've been trying to add the numeric text fiel... but I don't understand how can be SO difficult!! First seems easy, yes... I see the other scripts and begin ilusionated, but then I made me MAD with all that weird codes in my mind and finally nothing works fine, a pity... Well... only one more thing, if you could give me some clue for that "Asking for Improved Script to Rotate-Translate 3D objects" I'd be very gratefull, I think that could be usefull can do certain 3D changes directly in moho, specialy with relationated 3D objects, I've been "studing" the existing scripts and seems not to hard to do (specially for rotation, that with only add numeric text field for change the 90º predefinied value would must works), but I believe that I'm missing something, cause add numeric text fields is not easy for me... of course, if not I don't bother you! ;-) BYE/THANKS!