Stroke shape ordering

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Rabbit_Hater

Stroke shape ordering

Post by Rabbit_Hater »

The answer to this is likely incredibly simple and obvious, but for the life of me I cannot figure it out. There is a library drawing in Anime Studio Pro 10 that is named "Rabbit" ("A" in the image below).

This rabbit is wearing a polka dot bowtie ("B" in the above image). The polka dots are on the same layer as the base bowtie. If you select one of these polka dot circles and move it, you can move it behind the stroke ("C" in the image above). You can also use shape ordering and move it above the stroke. I have been unable to duplicate this effect in my own drawings - how is it accomplished? Thank you very much.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Re: Stroke shape ordering

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Hi, I traced and rigged that rabbit :)
The solution is tricky, there are actually 3 different shapes:

- bowtie (only stroke)
- circle
- bowtie (only fill)

Now, here is the trick. You first paint the "only fill" bowtie shape. Then paint the circle. And now, when you try to paint the "only stroke" bowtie, the software will replace the previous shape with a new one. It's because, since you are selecting exactly the same points, the software assumes you want to paint that same shape again (and not to create a new one only for the stroke). It's not a bug, but a desired behavior to make painting easier.
Now, to cheat the software, you can create a new conected line for the bowtie and then select all the bowtie points, plus the new one, to create the only stroke shape. The software will assume you are creating a new different shape. Once it's created, delete the remaining point.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fawp7snxg5bjh ... s.png?dl=0
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
Rabbit_Hater

Re: Stroke shape ordering

Post by Rabbit_Hater »

Thank you so much! Not only did I get the answer that I was looking for (with perfect picture-instructions), but by the creator of the rabbit too? You made my day! Thanks again! :)