turning mask on and off during animation with key frames

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

tiannaidan

turning mask on and off during animation with key frames

Post by tiannaidan »

I have a 3D object that I want to make a door on using a vector. The idea is to animate the door sliding open using a mask to hide the door when it's open . that's no problem. My problem is I want to have an object go into the door after it's open and appear to go inside, also using a mask to hide the object once inside. But the only way to make this idea work is to have the object NOT masked before it enters, but then have the mask hide it as it passes through the doorway and inside. I have tried using keyframes to set the "mask this layer" and "don't mask this layer" but it won't do both. Is this not possible? Is this Really confusing lol.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

A good trick to get this is to animate the layer order. Mask needs specific layer order, so if you break it, the mask won't work.
Another trick is to break the mask using a "null" layer. If you put an empty vector layer between your mask and your masked layer and set it masking proprieties as a different kind of mask, it also will break the previous masking.

PD: By the way, maybe some people don't know, you can have different masks masking different layers inside the same group. For example, you can have:

Group (hidde all)
- Pupil left (mask this layer)
- Eye left (clear the mask and add this layer to i)
- Pupil right (mask this layer)
- Eye right (add to mask)

This way, Pupil left won't be visible inside Eye right and viceversa.
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

Rigged animation supervisor: My father's dragon, Wolfwalkers & Star Wars Visions "Screecher's Reach"
My personal Youtube Channel
tiannaidan

turning mask on and off

Post by tiannaidan »

Thanks I'll try these suggestions.
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

you might also like to try this:
viewtopic.php?t=20445&start=12