masking

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

snowflake

masking

Post by snowflake »

hi,

i'm new to moho and have been trying to recreate something similar to Tutorial 2.6_3.
i created a group layer (set masking group to hide all), then under that have a vector layer with a free-drawn squiggle (set to mask this layer) and also another vector layer with an unfilled rectangle (set to + add to mask, but keep invisible). however, the squiggle does not show up where the rectangle moves over it.

i notice in the tutorial that the layers text and mask don't have a red dot in the layers box like the background layer has.
how do you get rid of these red dots? when i create a new vector layer, it automatically shows up. do these dots have anything to do with why the masking is not working?
7feet

Post by 7feet »

Quick answer, to work as a mask, something you draw has to be a "shape", meaning it has to have a fill or an outline. If your object isn't a "shape" then it won't work That's one of the reasons you have the "keep invisible" options. Try giving the mask a fill. If it's to be invisible, the color doesn't matter much. One thing that does make a difference on the fills, though, if the transparency of the fill or outline color. Say the mask shapes color is set to be 30% transparent, then only then the masked layer will only 30% visible, too. For that matter, any layer effects (like layer blur or shadows) that you apply to the mask layer will affect what it masks. Something you can play with if you've got the mind.