Morph Targets vs Smart Bones

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

wizaerd

Morph Targets vs Smart Bones

Post by wizaerd »

I'm curious, with the addition of SmartBones, and the enhancements of this feature in every new version, is there really any reason to still use morph targets?
GCharb

Re: Morph Targets vs Smart Bones

Post by GCharb »

Facial expressions, lip sync, that sort of stuff could profit from morph target more then from smart bones in my opinion!
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

I was a hardcore Morph Targets user in the past, but since the inclusion of Smart bones, I simply don't use them anymore.
The main problem about Morph Targets is they add actual keyframes on every single layer involved. That makes that any time you need to fix the timing, you are forced to move the keyframes on each layer and that's an terrible process.
Smart bones, on the other hand, just add one keyframe. That allows you to re timing easily and the ability to play with the interpolation easily, even using Bezier. Also, Smart Bones allow actions with multiple keys, so you can have a single bone controlling an entire animation.
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

Rigged animation supervisor: My father's dragon, Wolfwalkers & Star Wars Visions "Screecher's Reach"
My personal Youtube Channel
wizaerd

Post by wizaerd »

selgin wrote:I was a hardcore Morph Targets user in the past, but since the inclusion of Smart bones, I simply don't use them anymore.
The main problem about Morph Targets is they add actual keyframes on every single layer involved. That makes that any time you need to fix the timing, you are forced to move the keyframes on each layer and that's an terrible process.
Smart bones, on the other hand, just add one keyframe. That allows you to re timing easily and the ability to play with the interpolation easily, even using Bezier. Also, Smart Bones allow actions with multiple keys, so you can have a single bone controlling an entire animation.
I have to admit, this seems to be the best reason for using SmartBones over Morph Targets for sure, the ease of the timeline afterwards... Thanx!