moving the switch ???

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

mikel

moving the switch ???

Post by mikel »

Hello, Im feeling a bit sorry for asking this simple question.
But there is few german content on the web.

I try to make a smart action switch.
Everytime i try to switch this bone, the manipulate bone tool moves it around.

why?

again, sorry for this simple question. I wish there was a german moho forum or more stuff, but there is only one.. for linux.

bye, thanks
Greenlaw

Re: moving the switch ???

Post by Greenlaw »

By default, When there are at least two bones in a chain, the Manipulate Bones tool uses IK to rotate the bones; when there is a only single unparented bone, Manipulate Bones moves the bone instead of rotating it. Also, it always moves the root bone in a chain, not rotate it. This is how the tool is supposed to work.

So, to rotate the SBD bone using Manipulate Bones you need to do one of the following...

1. Parent your Smart Bone Dial (SBD) to another bone. Usually, this is a 'master' or 'mover' bone that you would attach all of your SBDs to. Typically, I make this 'master' bone a pin bone and I name it 'SBD' or 'SBD Mover'

...or...

2. If you really don't want to parent your SBDs to a 'master' bone, then you need to rotate the bone using the Transform Bone tool, or if you still want to use the Manipulate Bones tool then you need to also press Alt, which puts the tool into FK mode. When the tool is in FK mode, it ignores IK and rotates the bone under the cursor directly.

Personally, I suggest using method 1. This gives you a 'handle' to move all of your SBDs at once, which is useful during animation.

For a more advanced method, parent a small bone to the root of your character, enable Independent Angle for this bone, and then parent your SBD 'master' bone to this bone. This will make the 'master' bone move with the character and maintain its orientation relative the UI so the SBDs don't flip around when you rotate your character's root bone.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

BTW, when animating a character, use Manipulate Bone to pose using IK in the character, and simultaneously press and hold Alt to rotate the individual bones. This is the fastest and most efficient way to animate a properly rigged character in Moho.

Typically, I use Manipulate Bones in IK mode to get the general pose for the character, and then press and hold Alt to switch to FK mode so I can refine the pose.
mikel

Post by mikel »

Yes, but how is it here in this example?
Blink, Nose, Menace, works without alt.
Could you explain this part to me again, sorry my english.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipP ... xJUjV4anJR

Thanks
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Oh, that is an interesting example. Here's what I found...

Normally, a freestanding bone will only move when you use the Manipulate Bones tool, however if the bone has a Smart Bone Action assigned to it then Manipulate Bones will rotate it.

To test this, add a bone to an empty project and use the Manipulate Bones tool to turn it; it will move instead. Now, with the bone selected, click the New Action button in the Actions window; this will assign an action to that bone with the bone's name. Double-click on Mainline to exit the Action editing mode and to switch back to the Mainline mode.

Now use the Manipulate Bones tool and it should rotate. Remove the action and it will only move again.

Thanks for pointing this out because I learned something new today. 😸

BTW, your English is very good!
Last edited by Greenlaw on Thu Dec 22, 2022 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikel

Post by mikel »

yes, cool.
you helped me a lot!
thank you.