Open .moho files with text editor?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

lazerslab

Open .moho files with text editor?

Post by lazerslab »

I'm having issues with styles in Moho. I occasionally will build characters off of existing ones, and modify their styles to make the process quick. Problem is, even when I rename the styles, if I have two conflicting characters in a scene, it swaps out their styles for the original ones. So my question is a two parter:

1. Is there a way to modify styles in program that allows them to be re-used in a project without defaulting to the original style's appearance?

2. I read that one solution here was to open the.moho file in a text editor and delete prefixes on styles. Seems straightforward enough, I just can't for the life of me, make sense out of the text that appears in the editor, so I assume I am importing the files into the text editor incorrectly. Is there a proper way to do this I am missing?
ggoblin

Re: Open .moho files with text editor?

Post by ggoblin »

From what I recall, .moho is a zip archive file. So you need to uncompress it first. Inside the archive there is a Project.mohoproj file, this you can open in a text editor. Good luck.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Yeah, I found out the hard way years ago that changing the name of a custom Style does not make it a different Style. This is because Styles are defined by an internal ID, not their name.

You don't need to go into the file with a text editor to change that though. The easy way is to Import the file and enable Unlink Shared Styles. This changes the Style IDs to the applied custom Style so you can change them from other items that have the same Style.

This is how I made all the different cats for this scene from Boss Baby...

https://vimeo.com/364548450#t=98

The cat was originally one rig with a custom style for the fur and collar color. Then I imported the cat into the same file but with the Unlink Shared Styles option enabled. This allowed me to easily make changes to the Style for each cat, and easily have a variety of cats in this scene and other scenes in this episode.

Actually, that's a lie. I just remembered that this was the episode where I did it the hard way using a text editor. It was only afterwards that I asked for a way to change the Style ID that I learned from Mike (Moho's creator) and Chucky that I should used the Unlink Shared Styles button. And that's what I've done ever since, and it works every time!

That said, I would still like to see the Style ID displayed in the Style window and be able to change it by entering a new value.

Hope this helps.
lazerslab

Post by lazerslab »

Ggoblin - Thanks for that tidbit! It definetely worked! I still can't make heads or tails of the contents but it's definetely worked! I suspect that's a rabbit hole I will be happy to go through at some point-

Greenlaw - I have been copy/pasting my character rig layers from scene to scene foolishly - your method 100% solved my style issue haha Thanks! Awesome reel btw! That's a lot of cats!