Create shape picking colors

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

SuperSGL

Create shape picking colors

Post by SuperSGL »

I don't think this is a bug but it was driving me crazy. If I create a green square switch to a different color and create another square with a different color all is fine (I can select a new color before I create it). If I have to use the Create shape and give it a color (before I click create shape) Then I switch to a square (or any other shape) but change the color before I create it it changes the color of the prior shape. I had to do a test just to figure out why this was happening.
Hope I explained that ok. It was something I noticed would happen every once and a while. It just means the second shape needs to use the select shape tool.
"Animation is not the art of drawings that move but the art of movements that are drawn."
Norman McLaren

My Animations
Daxel

Re: Create shape picking colors

Post by Daxel »

That's because the draw shape tool doesn't automatically selects the created shapes, while the create shape tool does. And when a shape is selected, the style panel switches to SHAPE mode (the parameters you can see and edit are the selected shape's properties), while only when no shape is selected the panel will be in DEFAULT mode (the properties will be applied to the next created shape).

More about that here: viewtopic.php?p=217390#p217390
SuperSGL

Post by SuperSGL »

Thinking about that...Is there a reason to name shapes (for the user). I can see and used the naming of groups, that can come in handy. I can't see any reason unless it's an internal thing for the software but again why let us change the name. I did read the other post I actually commented on it as well about Styles themselves. But then again I (obviously) don't pay much attention to the top part of the window (I probably wouldn't have made this post) :lol: :oops:
"Animation is not the art of drawings that move but the art of movements that are drawn."
Norman McLaren

My Animations
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

SuperSGL wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 1:42 am Thinking about that...Is there a reason to name shapes (for the user)...
Lately, I've been using Shape Names like crazy. This is mostly because I'm using layers with many shapes (30 or more in each layer), multiple instances of Liquid Shapes in each layer, and Rai's Shapes Window to manage and edit it all. Having shapes with obvious names is the only way I can understand what's in the stacking order.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Tue May 21, 2024 1:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

SuperSGL wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 1:42 am Thinking about that...Is there a reason to name shapes (for the user)....
Generally...
- When you get into a situation where one-or-more Shapes overlay another, and it is not easy to click select the underlying shape/s
- As already mentioned, it is essential with Liquid Shapes
- It also gives you a better clue about how messy/tidy your layer/doc is

You can auto-name new Shapes, if not doing so already. I think this is off by default.

Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I should add that, I don't typically bother naming shapes. It's a fairly new thing for me, and I only do it when I KNOW I'll be selecting and animating a bunch of stacked shapes in a rig or animation.

Most recently, this was for the hair of characters in the last couple of productions I worked on, which used Liquid Shapes for the highlight inside the individual locks. And, yes, in both chases, this involved a LOT of shapes. And it looked great! :D

The way I dealt with this was to name the shapes something like:

HairA
HairA Shad
HairALine
HairB
HairB Shad
HairB Line
etc., ...

In some cases, I don't need the 'Line' layer, which can simplify the setup.

I'm currently using the same hair technique for a personal project I'll be releasing next month. Rai's Shape Window tool makes it easy to check the stacking order and ensure the correct shapes have Liquid Shapes enabled for masking.

I also use a similar naming system for finger segment shapes in hands. In a recent setup, this required MANY shapes for smoothly animating finger positions in full turns. I created a similar setup for Boss Baby years ago, but this got way more complicated for a character I worked on earlier this year with realistic hands. So glad to have Moho 14.1 and Shapes Window for this work. :D