Workspace grid

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Nicohk92

Workspace grid

Post by Nicohk92 »

I don't see the benefit of having the grid (ctrl+G) attached to whatever layer is selected. Impossible to to position layers on a grid, since grids move and rotate with layers.
Isn't there a workspace wide grid that stays fixed no matter what? Isn't that what grids are for?
slowtiger

Re: Workspace grid

Post by slowtiger »

Since Moho is really resolution-independent, a general layer only works as long as you don't move the camera ...

Workaround: set the layer to your like, make a screenshot, and import.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
Greenlaw

Re: Workspace grid

Post by Greenlaw »

I, too, wish there was a fixed Grid as an option. The layer-specific Grid is definitely useful (sometimes I wish other programs had this as an option,) but as a global 'project-wide' tool, it's not as helpful.

For now, I would do what slowtiger suggested: make a separate overlay layer and use that as a guide. I typically render this on a white backdrop and set the layer to multiply, then dial in the transparency value I need. This makes it easy to see everything beneath it. (If I were being really smart about it, I'd make a grid layer using vectors so it was scaleable without losing resolution, and store it in the Library.)

I also use Kuzkuz's MR Guides tool routinely for multi-layer alignment guides. No snapping, but it works great for the entire project and has many useful options. Since it exists in its own layer, it stays fixed project-wide. Oh, and it's easily editable too!