Liquid shapes lose their effects?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Nicohk92

Liquid shapes lose their effects?

Post by Nicohk92 »

I have a circle with a radial gradient and curve profile. I duplicate the shape and set the new one to add with a bit of blend (to simulate a cell division).

As soon as I hit "add", both lose curve profile and the top shape lose its gradient.

Is that normal?
hayasidist

Re: Liquid shapes lose their effects?

Post by hayasidist »

known and reported issue re curve profile. It would be best not to rely on having a fix in the near future.

re gradient - the base shape gradient overrides those of added shapes (IOW when adding shapes, Moho in effect merges the points of the added shape into the base shape and thus the child shape stroke / fill attributes are ignored until the child is removed from the blending group)
Nicohk92

Post by Nicohk92 »

Ok, Thanks Haya
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

just as a BTW -- is that "cell" a corona virus? just in case you didn't know, viruses don't reproduce by cellular division ... but if it isn't and you do know all about mitosis - my apologies.
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

I'm guessing cell with cillia.
Nicohk92

Post by Nicohk92 »

It's just part of a good old T-Cell
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Just to complement. When you use liquid shapes, the software is internally creating a new independent shape based on those two or more shapes combined. Since a single shape can only have one gradient, the liquid shape uses the gradient and color of the base shape.
Related to that, Curve profile is tricky to implement with liquid shapes, because, although a liquid shape t could look as one consistent shape accross time, the software is constantly creating that liquid shape from scratch on every frame and every time you modify it. So an effect like curve profile, if it could be implemented, would be constantly changing in an uncontrollable way.
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

Rigged animation supervisor: My father's dragon, Wolfwalkers & Star Wars Visions "Screecher's Reach"
My personal Youtube Channel
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Doesn't help the cilia blend, but I used my create shape tool to stack the curve profile shapes on the liquid shapes. So the liquid shapes are actually blending behind the curve profile ones, but using the exact same vector curves. But gradients were still a problem, since they are only influenced by bones and crossing the bone influence would tear the gradients.
So I just put some smaller soft edge shapes on top, instead of gradients.

Probably not ideal since the cilia don't blend.
Nicohk92

Post by Nicohk92 »

Thanks for experimenting with that. And Victor's point is well taken that I shouldn't expect it to work anyway. And after all, I won't be showing cilia because it looks too much like a virus indeed (your remarks made me realize that). T-cells do have cilias, but I need to remain schematic and to the point. My own tests were going that way too, but it's just cosmetic. Still I need to present some design ideas that look like what they 're paying me for. I'll ggo more with smooth outlines but maybe play with some cool effects with the core and stuff.
Last edited by Nicohk92 on Sun May 26, 2024 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nicohk92

Post by Nicohk92 »

So I took the cilias and gradient off the T cell, so this is my base line. I m a big believer in the keep it simple stupid moto. Still I need to bring a bit of added value.
Nicohk92

Post by Nicohk92 »

And if you're interested, here's an image from my storyboard. FYI, Effector Tcells, are regular Tcells after they get activated by the macrophage (APC) presenting outside matter. They multiply, get crazy etc.. Just so you get a sense of the challenge. Simple shapes, but numerous, and some animation involved.
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

seriously interesting subject area and challenge! Good luck with it!
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

I'm preparing some files to show at Annecy (anyone here going this year?) and found this test I forgot:
You can download the .moho file here.
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

Rigged animation supervisor: My father's dragon, Wolfwalkers & Star Wars Visions "Screecher's Reach"
My personal Youtube Channel
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

clever! took me a while to see the imaginative use of stacked blend modes!
WildLud

Post by WildLud »

I could'nt understand how the Victor's sample works. It's a kind of magic :)

I have a lot to learn.