Grid units?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Markku

Grid units?

Post by Markku »

I normally use 2D apps like Illustartor etc. so I'm a little confused about the Moho grid units.

If I set them to 1 (one) what unit is that?

I imported some AI vectors that were 1 px in height, and it was about 1/3 of the grid cell that was set to be 1 something.
Manu
7feet

Post by 7feet »

From a little experimentation, the grid size is related to pixels. A grid with a size of 1 gives you a grid that defines single pixels, as they relate to the project size. If your project is, say 800x600, then a grid set at 100 would be 8 colums wide and 6 rows high. So it's not really some sort of "real world" number, it relates specifically to the project.
Markku

I did like you said

Post by Markku »

and indeed it seems like the grid units are pixels.

But snapping to grid works oddly.
Points do not snap exactly on the grid line.

Do you see the same?
Manu
Toontoonz

Post by Toontoonz »

With the grid I can never get it to stop snapping to the grid lines.
I would like to have the grid on as a reference, but not to always have everything snap to a grid line.
In Draw > Snap to Grid always comes on when the Grid is on. How can one turn the snapping part off?

I wish Moho would add rulers on the sides and guidelines (as in Photoshop, Illustratror) so one could line things up that way.
JCook

Post by JCook »

I don't see that problem. For me the points snap right onto the grid lines.

What I'd like to be able to do is to use the grid WITHOUT having the points snap to the grid. Sometimes it's useful to have the grid just as a visual aid and not a snapping tool. Is there any way to turn off grid snapping?

Jack
JCook

Post by JCook »

OK, I'm a dummy. I just investigated further and found the Disable Grid Snapping checkbox. Duh! It was right in front of me!

My face is red.

Jack
Toontoonz

Post by Toontoonz »

Where do you see a Disable Grid snapping checkbox? I have been searching for it. It must be too obvious for me, too.
7feet

Post by 7feet »

Inbetween the "Current Layer" button and the grid icon on the bottom of the main window.

--edit oops - very late for me.
Last edited by 7feet on Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JCook

Post by JCook »

Actually that's the checkbox to make the grid visible. Disable Grid Snapping is in the View menu. I found it by accident.

Jack
Toontoonz

Post by Toontoonz »

In the View menu....that´s a strange place for it.
"Disable Grid Snapping"
Ecspecially when in the Draw Menu it says "Snap to Grid". One would think they would be next to each other.
RASH

Post by RASH »

IMHO a solution to this problem could be to replace the checkbox next to the grid image by an icon of a magnet for an Enable Grid Snapping function (colored when active, gray when inactive) and replace the image of the grid by an icon of the grid (black when active, gray when inactive).

This solution would be more productive and need no extra space in the lower actionbar.

Furthermore, the view menu should be extended with a Show Grid option, and the Disable Grid Snapping should be replaced by an Enable Grid Snapping option.

Humans can have difficulties in grasping the concept of "enabling something to be disabled". It is a bit like asking someone: "Do not listen to what I say!" ;)