Audio import/export (wav) problem

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Daxel

Re: Audio import/export (wav) problem

Post by Daxel »

synthsin75 wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:55 pm If you stray from your own animatic and have to re-sync, that sounds like a problem with you own workflow.
I don't see any problem with slight improvements between the animatic and the animation, I have seen that frecuently, even by Disney. And rigged animation is particularly good at being modified, so why should you limit yourself if you think you can improve something easily? In my opinion, setting your animatic in stone is a bad practice, specially with digital and rigged animation in particular.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Daxel wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:41 am
synthsin75 wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:55 pm If you stray from your own animatic and have to re-sync, that sounds like a problem with you own workflow.
I don't see any problem with slight improvements between the animatic and the animation, I have seen that frecuently, even by Disney. And rigged animation is particularly good at being modified, so why should you limit yourself if you think you can improve something easily? In my opinion, setting your animatic in stone is a bad practice, specially with digital and rigged animation in particular.
No reason to limit yourself, but if it disrupts the workflow (like needing to re-sync your audio), you'd be better off saving the file as a new project, doing the additional animation as a cut (to add in editing), and resuming with your finalized animatic timing and sound. The whole point of animation is to be better than the animatic, so everyone should be doing that. But there's a difference between improvements and changing timing, which in a large studio has already been finalized and approved by someone else...who you have to get new approval from before making such changes.

Granted, as a one-man operation, you're free to animate like free-form jazz. Just be aware of the possible downsides to that kind of workflow.
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

synthsin75 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:53 am
No reason to limit yourself, but if it disrupts the workflow (like needing to re-sync your audio), you'd be better off saving the file as a new project, doing the additional animation as a cut (to add in editing), and resuming with your finalized animatic timing and sound.
Yeah but thats the point, the need for audio re-sync could be avoided in some situations if Moho didn't have this problem exporting audio. So I understand that if the feature exists some people may want to use it and they will expect it to work reliably.
bebemustacio

Post by bebemustacio »

Not sure why anyone have impression that we are working without animatic. Of course we made animatic first. But making animatic precisely in every frame and don't leave animators freedom to add frame here and there, no thank you :D.
If you invest your time in perfect animatic with final timing, and your animators can't add a single frame, and that works, then good for you! ... you don't need perfect sound form MOHO.

But for all others who get better results when animators have a freedom to change a bit time, for the sake of better animation, having non degraded sound from MOHO, helps.

Also I'm sure that perfectly timed animatic is not standard for all big, professional studios ( maybe for some it is). When I was in iAnimate school Chris Kirshbaum from DW, shows us his scene form Kung Fu Panda when director excepted his suggestion to do do some moves different and make character more funny. So timing was changed for sure. Everything can be changed and approved in any time, without need to go back and change animatic.

So we like more flexible work, therefore we need perfect sound from Moho. That is what we are talking about. We are not trying to convince anyone that our workflow is better, it is just best for us.
Maestral

Post by Maestral »

There are a lot of exceptions mentioned here which should bring us all closer to some rule - having proper audio export from Moho should not be seen as an exception.

Being open or flexible towards animators' input is something I'd keep for characters like Robin Williams or similar. That's the most extreme example I've heard of - Robin voicing the Genie and leaving production to deal with loads of material off from expected. Producers or directors that I know would see such an approach as a Realm of Nightmares. We're not all the same but some "sanity" should be preserved :D

In some less extreme situations, of course, nobody would carve the animatic in stone but having an animatic 'formatted' - you'd have the audio sequences already lined up in the editor so minor adjustments would not take too much time / despite what quality of audio you get from Moho
alexxx

Post by alexxx »

Yeah, let me just conclude this thread by short answers:

- everyone has its own workflows, for me and some other colleagues - doing double work of any kind is a waste of time (i.e. syncing dialogue and animatic twice...)

- don't keep your eyes closed - Moho has a problem with 48kHz audio, thread replies about anything about that is divergence from original topic and doesn't fix it.

For now, let's work on 44.1 24 bit.
Hopefully 48kHz engine update is coming soon (should be easy to implement I think).

Have a nice day all!
Cheers
Alex