Next - Previous key frames Rotation tool modification

Moho allows users to write new tools and plugins. Discuss scripting ideas and problems here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

heyvern

Next - Previous key frames Rotation tool modification

Post by heyvern »

Another thing DRIVING ME NUTS and slowing me down was how hard it is to traverse the time line looking for key frames of bones.

This is another really really fast (15 minutes) modification of the LM rotate bone tool.

Drop this in the tool folder. Make sure you back up your existing "lm_rotate_bone.lua" file before replacing it with this one just in case.

http://www.lowrestv.com/anime_studio/sc ... e_bone.lua

It isn't a huge change to the tool and it works the same as before except now you can use:

cmd(mac)alt(pc)+2 to go to the next rotation key of the bone selected.
cmd(mac)alt(pc)+1 to go to the previous rotation key of the bone selected.

Since this worked so well and was an easy fix I plan to modify the lm_utility.lua script so all tools have this capability. I just have to figure out how to check for any key. I will probably look at that "key all channels" script floating around. At a minimum I can add it to all the bone and vector tools at least.

-vern
mkelley

Post by mkelley »

Wow -- this is seriously useful, Vern.

I know it may not seem like it (because you've done some terrific scripts, and I'm well aware of how useful your bone save/load tool is) but I think this kind of thing is probably the best thing you've done.

It's extending the keyboard shortcuts that make workflow better -- and not just because I'm using a hardware device to navigate things. I'm amazed at how much more productive I can be if I can use a keypress to navigate instead of mousing.

I'm *really* looking forward to seeing you do more of this (the translate tool on vector keys would be on my wish list because that's the next one that bugs me the most to search for keys).
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

The last few scripts were done out absolute desperate necessity.

Since I have a REAL paying animation job, I find myself in a new different situation. I'm trying to save time and effort and found the constant moving of the mouse, click on the time line moving the mouse clicking on the time line, missing the correct spot going back and clicking on the time line... just wastes so much time and is sooooo frustrating. I was so worth the effort to write this script.

Now I have to add it to the other bone tools... I have to keep switching to the rotate tool to find the next key frame. ;)

-vern
mkelley

Post by mkelley »

Not trying to be a salesperson here (because I have no vested interest) but I highly recommend the Shuttle Pro (or the lower priced Shuttle) for speeding up work.

It's basically a programmable keypad with a rotating dial (for frame advance -- works better in video editing programs then it does in AS). I have it programmed for all the key combos I use and it's *very* useful because you don't have to take your hand off the mouse to hit keys your other hand would find difficult.

It's not expensive -- even the Pro is under $100 -- and I wouldn't do serious work without it or something similar (but I've yet to find anything that works as well).
madrobot

Post by madrobot »

mkelley wrote:It's basically a programmable keypad with a rotating dial (for frame advance -- works better in video editing programs then it does in AS).
How well does the frame advance work in AS?
(Just out of interest)
mkelley

Post by mkelley »

I can only report on my machine -- fairly fast (state of the art a couple of years ago) dual Pentium with 4GB of fast RAM.

And, of course, my particular animation files, which are fairly heavy vector layer stuff (my characters typically have around 50-60 layers, most of which are hands, mouths and eyelids). With a background and a couple of characters I can scrub in almost real time using the mouse, but with the dial it lags considerably, making it almost worthless. I can use the dial to quite accurately move frame by frame, though, and I do this for critical animation stuff (in that it operates exactly like pressing the arrow keys -- of course, the whole point of the shuttle is you don't have to take your hand off the mouse).

Now, simply defining a single vector image I can scrub with the wheel as fast as I can with the mouse -- but that doesn't really help. So in actual practice I use the Shuttle for key combos and single frame movements and use the mouse to scrub and/or select layers, points, etc.

Even in a very heavy timeline in Premiere, for example, the Shuttle works great scrubbing back and forth (although truth be told the play keys are probably what I use the most there -- very rich set).

I get so used to the Shuttle that I find myself reaching for it even in those programs I haven't defined keys for (you can define your own set but it comes with a set for nearly all standard stuff, like all Adobe products. Naturally I defined my own set for AS).